Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When to say no. . .

Lemme first say i have worked on some krap systems, in particular an apartment complex that ran 1/2" pipe off hose bibs. I went to start a system up today, 4 zones, clock is in the crawl space. First zone doesn't look bad turf and sprays, next zone, converted from drip to three 3500 rotors shooting 30' spaced 15' apart on one side of a lawn that was 45' long. Last zone was drip with a 15' full in a bed. Backflow installed to the point where the box will hardly shut, Mainline buried 6" deep jumps out of the ground and into the crawl space. The HO has lived there for a month, I started to write an estimate, then stopped and told him I would replace a broken spray head and move another out from inside a bed. The house was abandoned for a year, yard overgrown, I suggested just starting over with a new system next year when they know what they want with their yard. Did a startup on a HO association where it all needed to be replaced and they just won't spring for it, heads to low, bad wiper seals, bad wiring, low pressure. Some jobs need to wear my shades and pretend like I didnt just see that. Sometimes its less frustration and cheaper to start over, when you would end up fixing, replacing everything.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a townhome complex we maintain that is the same way. I won't even give them a price to upgrade it. It's just not worth it. Needs an entire new system which they won't go for. The HOA is bankrupt anyway, and they are considering not even running the sprinklers this year at all. The system is one of the least important problems in my view - cedar shingle roofs that are falling apart, retaining walls falling over, needs a paint job on every building (partially because the heads are right next to the buildings and wearing paint away), etc., etc.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its hard when nothing is done right to begin with. I very rarely tell customers to just start over. Had a bad gut feeling about it anyway.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hard to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t..
Old 05-10-2013, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Prob 75 percent of the systems I work on are of poor design. If I do agree to work on or modify the system I allways tell them up front anything done will be a comprimise and will not be perfect. Even if I'm just making repairs as is I will drop a note in the bill about the shortcomings.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I once looked at a possible install, nice place, on the water. As I did a walk-through I noticed the grounds looked like a million bucks, turf and plantings. The would-be client said he used Gardena oscillators & timers for turf and the wife took care of the plantings. As he had a very shallow well, I told him unless he wanted to drop big bucks, he had no need for me. I gave him my card and bailed. Couple of days later, I get a note from him with a hundred dollar bill enclosed. His note said, "you are the only contractor I've ever met that talked me out of spending money."
Old 05-11-2013, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I once looked at a possible install, nice place, on the water. As I did a walk-through I noticed the grounds looked like a million bucks, turf and plantings. The would-be client said he used Gardena oscillators & timers for turf and the wife took care of the plantings. As he had a very shallow well, I told him unless he wanted to drop big bucks, he had no need for me. I gave him my card and bailed. Couple of days later, I get a note from him with a hundred dollar bill enclosed. His note said, "you are the only contractor I've ever met that talked me out of spending money."
My hats off to you bud! Its rare to come across people that look out for the best interest of others rather than their own wallet.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I want everything you got
Old 05-11-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wish I could have got a pic of this lighting transformer(?) I came across in a HO's garage. What looked to be a door bell transformer wired to a piece of 12awg direct burial sticking out of a hole above a outlet. The other end was connected to a lamp cord plugged into a power strip. Good thing we have a electrician on the books right now.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How you holding up right now down there?

Were so damn busy I'm doing 14 hours a day right now and on saturday. 80+ degree weather in may?? wtf!