Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Landscape Design - Please Critique

This is my first landscape design... I am in zone 5. I am looking for all the landscape designers to critique my work. Please don't bash me but I would appreciate any help.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf IMG.pdf (1.00 MB, 486 views)
Old 05-15-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need to start over, paying particular attention to the following.

1) proper hydrozoning.
2) proper choice of planting materials for location (mature size with respect to building, hardscape and other plants)
3) proper grouping and placement with respect to maintenance, mature size, exposure requirements and visual aesthetics.
4) river rock for mulch .... not a good idea.

With respect to the paper design

1) Dimensioning needs work
2) No legend, scale, or north arrow
3) No breakdown on plants .... needs both scientific & common name, and ideally specifics on each (ex. characteristics, management requirements, etc.....)

In all honestly, it just looks like you randomly picked and placed some plants .... and IMO the finish product will not look good, both initially and over the long term.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advise. I will do some editing on it tonight. Like I said, it is my first design so I knew it would leave a lot to be desired. As for the plan, it is just a rough draft I will add a legend and etc before I finalize it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

A few quick tips... Don't have so much space between plants, when they grow in they can touch each other- it will look good. Don't plant everything in straight lines. Think odd numbers, instead of planting one, plant three or five. Layering is important too, short plants up front, larger in back. Makes it interesting. And I would stay away from the straight bed edges- think curvilinear.
I like the way you blue printed out the house, that should be a sufficient pallet for showing your plans. I would label the plants as letters and have them go to a key. And when you draw the lines to label the plants, use straight lines. Use different symbols for different plants.
Good luck you got this
Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also keep in mind the different seasons. I didn't look closely at your plant selection but I see people all the time design stuff with no evergreens. What do they think its going to look like in the winter when everything is dormant? Keep in mind textures, colors, size, exposure to sun/shade. Grouping are good with odd numbers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2013, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the advice, I have applied some of the advice to my plan but I have taken it all to heart. I really appreciate all the help. Here is the updated design that will be presented to the client.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf IMG_0001.pdf (1,006.3 KB, 169 views)
Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

What program are you using for the graphing?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use Punch landscape design software.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also wanted to say that I landed the job. It will be around a 7 grand job. Pretty happy about that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Way to many straight lines and single plant types.

In general, Landscape designs should consist of the following (NOT talking trees here, just mainly smaller planting beds like you have)
Focal pt- your single plant that draws the eye
Accent plant- not needed but a plant or small group of plants that sets off the focal point
Filler plants- groupings of plants that move they eye throughout the landscape
Mass plants- groups of plants that form a mass, usually use these in the front with a ground cover or something that creates almost a blanket

Few tips

Little secret- use the 2/3 rule for almost any measurement
-plant height should be 2/3 or possibly 1/3 from the plant behind it.
-plant 2/3 cool plants, 1/3 warm plants- warm plants (reds) draw the eye more, youll need more cool plants to offset it
-Many more times to use this, to lazy to list

Formal landscape-Lots of straight lines, hedges, many focal points, LOTS of maint, think super highend mansion

Informal- Almost all residentials are these, curvilinear lines, plently of plant cultivars, fewer focal points, much less maintenance, uses natural plant form

Create areas or outdoor living spaces by using bumps on corners of the house- Ever notice of some landscapes have bump-outs at the corners and some other place around these house? the reason for this is to create spaces and stop the eyes from wondering. These bumps usually have some sort of focal point to stop the eye from wondering

Plant the right plants- obviously the right hardyness for your zone but also think shade/sun, water availability, mulch or rock? (Rock will usually need hardier plants in my experiance) etc.

Use a good mix of ever greens, perennials and woodies- your looking for season long interest- Spring for mostly shrubs, summer and fall mostly perennials, winter for evergreens

I always try to sway the customer in using MULCH NOT rock- rock is a PITA to work with after being installed, ontop of being a much harsher area for plants the grow, if you use wood use plastic or weed barrier, if plastic use a pitch for to pop holes around the plant to let H20 enter

DONT use fabric with mulch- dont, just dont. Mulch turns into soil, after a few years your left with soil under fabric under soil. Mulch is natural fertilizer when it breaks down andwill help the soil composition

Use odd number plants up to 7, 7+ it doesnt matter, it creates a mass planting

I could go on but