Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-17-2013, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Articulating Hedge Trimmer ?

Hello Everyone, I'm looking for some advice. I need an articulating head hedge trimmer and was wondering which are most reliable ? I've heard of some issues with the Stihl Kombi units, which was what I was initially going to get. I'm now investigating Echo/Shindaiwa/RedMax? ... I like the idea of being able to switch attachments, but a reliable unit is most important.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Thx
Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What issues have you heard about regarding Stihl units?
Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
What issues have you heard about regarding Stihl units?
Agreed, I love my Kombi, and the articulating hedge trimmer attachment.

ALL small engines suffer the same issues from bad gas, bad oil, etc. If you dig enough, you will find similar complains about any machine.
Stihl commercial units are among the best stuff out there. I'm not knocking Echo or Shindaiwa, or RedMax, or Honda, or Husqvarna, or well you get the idea. It is a long list.

Lots of people have good experiences with lots of brands. The ones who have had bad experiences will point out that what matters most is the quality of your dealer support. This matters much more than who makes the machine, and Stihl seems to have a better than average dealer network (part of the reason they don't sell in HD).
Old 05-17-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Stihl HL100 extended articulating hedge trimmer. It's a beast. Pretty heavy to work with, but it gets the job done quick. Paid for itself in a few weeks. Just got it this season, so can't really speak to durability. Very pleased with performance though.

I do think a smaller lighter motor would have been fine. 30cc seems like overkill. Also seems to use quite a bit of fuel vs my Redmax trimmers that just sip it. I would buy another today.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

The negative reviews regarding the Kombi system varied from issues with the shaft, engine, etc... As you said, I can't find a single piece of equipment that doesn't have some negative reviews. The Stihl system (KM 110) was my top choice and I really need the flexibility of multi attachments. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought the kombi 90 and have the edger and articulating shrub trimmer and it has not the. Paid for itself. I can almost charge any number on medium sizes trees that people want trimmed bc they can't do them with there hand helds. Best piece of equipment I've bought besides my vrides.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Have the hl135 attachment for my fs110s- you don't have to go with kombi unit to run attachments- any of the FS models will except 100rx- just 2 bolts to loosen/ tighten- great if don't need to use the attachment all the time
Stihl FS110R- Edger/135* Bar Hedge trimmer
HS 81T
Stihl FS110R- string
Stihl 290 Farm Boss 20" bar
Stihl 361 25" bar
Stihl HT101 Pole Saw
Stihl MM55
Stihl BG86
Stihl BR550
2004 Massey Ferguson GC2300- 2350 Loader w/ toothbar, 60" Kioti Aerator, 48" dethatcher, 60" back blade, 48" box blade, 3PTH pallet forks/carry all, 48" lawn roller
Old 05-17-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesa20 View Post
Have the hl135 attachment for my fs110s- you don't have to go with kombi unit to run attachments- any of the FS models will except 100rx- just 2 bolts to loosen/ tighten- great if don't need to use the attachment all the time
Funny, I did the same thing from a different direction. I bought the HZ100 L with the 135 degree head. Then bought the pole saw kit from a Kombi unit. I wouldn't want to change the gearbox all the time, but for occasional use tools it makes sense. I have a string trimmer head for mine too (about any will fit) but changing it out all the time seems to invite trouble.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Redmax is where it's at
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Redmax is where it's at
Posted via Mobile Device
Be very careful doing gearbox changes with a Redmax. I broke one recently myself. I was swapping out the power head from a little used edger to a more useful trimmer. The set screw holes are oriented differently. While attempting to mark the spot to drill the holes, I cracked the casting of the head. The gearbox casting was very thin. While the edger box was built like a tank, the trimmer gearbox was delicately thin. Now I need another Redmax trimmer gearbox.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
articulating , echo , hedge trimmer , redmax , stihl