Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-17-2013, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Caught in a downpour.

One day last week the chance of afternoon showers was 30 percent. So 70 percent chance it won't rain, right. Dark clouds had been dancing around but the weather radar on the phone showed none in my immediate vicinity. It started getting darker and my instinct said rain was coming so I check the radar again, nothing close. I made the decision to keep working and suddenly the bottom falls out. It's raining buckets and I race towards the trailer to get loaded and out of the rain. I was a few miles from the house so I headed home and pulled the trailer into the garage. I dry off and go in the house and check the radar again and there the cell was right over my area, all ugly yellow and orange on the screen. I watched the time loop and this cell just suddenly grew in a matter of 15 minutes. It materialized so quickly that before the radar updated it started raining on me.
What I learned is always trust your instincts over technology.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It was nice here yesterday with a chance of rain. All day, no rain...until I get out in it, then it pours. I load up, head toward home - and 1 mile from where I had been the pavement's dry and no rain at all. Sometimes I think He just doesn't love me as much as He loves others.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
It was nice here yesterday with a chance of rain. All day, no rain...until I get out in it, then it pours. I load up, head toward home - and 1 mile from where I had been the pavement's dry and no rain at all. Sometimes I think He just doesn't love me as much as He loves others.
It sometimes seems like others get more love. I think it all equals out in the end.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
One day last week the chance of afternoon showers was 30 percent. So 70 percent chance it won't rain, right.
A 3 in 10 chance it will rain is actually a pretty good chance. Let me change it around a little so what I said makes sense. Say you had to buy a 100 dollar ticket to enter a lottery where you had a 3 in 10 chance of winning a million dollars. Would you say you had a good chance of winning that million dollars? You'd jump all over that.

Whether something is a good chance of happening is more than just the raw numbers. There is also risk versus benefits and that's hard to define when you're talking about rain.

Last edited by Richard Martin; 05-17-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Richard, I have found that if we are in drought conditions the 30% chance is more like zero%, while on the other hand if we are average or above in rainfall for the year the 30% can be more like 50%. Go figure.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
Richard, I have found that if we are in drought conditions the 30% chance is more like zero%, while on the other hand if we are average or above in rainfall for the year the 30% can be more like 50%. Go figure.
This is the absolute truth - depends on the long term pattern you are in. 30% chance during a drought, fuggetaboutit. 30% chance when you are getting deluged - it is a sure thing.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-17-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got soaking wet also today. I don't mind cutting in a light rain. I had the frog togs on and figured it would blow over in no time. WRONG it's still sprinkling now that I left and am at home. Il go and complete the yard tomorrow I reckon.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh yeah I always trust myself before I trust the weatherbug.

Which...
Has gotten me soaked before, too.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i never trust the weather. it's always against you. when you want it to rain it doesn't and when you don't want rain it pours down. it's always against you.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i never trust the weather. it's always against you. when you want it to rain it doesn't and when you don't want rain it pours down. it's always against you.
Raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock today. Odenville is flooding heavily. I was suppose to catch up a few yards today but there's just no way I can. Myself and LarryInAlabama will be using a boat with a fixed mower deck on it soon to cut with. On the bright side of things. I can go and take a inventory of a mans equipment he is selling to include a few trucks and standard things we use day to day in this business.
Posted via Mobile Device