Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you measure grass seed?

Not to plant.. I know how to do that...

I sell bulk materials - topsoil, mulch, etc. I have a lot of customers wanting to purchase grass seed/straw as well.... My grass seed is in 50 # bags..... I normally just eyeball it, which I know is costing me money from eyeballing on the high side, because I am NOT going to give someone less than what they are paying for..... So, what are you guys using to weigh items like this?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Weigh the amount that you get in your Scoop, such as a coffee can filled to the top weighs 1.26 lbs... different seeds may weigh different amounts, so experiment a while and make a decision about how it works out...

At least you'll be close w.out weighing every bag at point of sale...
Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To be legal, you will have to weigh it on a certified scale, (in most states). You could perhaps weigh it on a kitchen scale with a 1 to 20 pound capacity.

Perhaps it would be legal to sell it by the quart. Perhaps...

Some stores around here use a self-serve dip-out-of-the-barrel system, but I think they must weigh it at checkout. It may not be legal to sell seed without the label indicating test date, variety, and percent germination.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with you about it needing to be a certified scale to be legal. The scale probably needs to be checked by the bureau of weights and measures once a year as well.

Way back I have bought seed a number of times from hardware stores and they just weighed it in the certified scale and dumped it into a paper bag, no labels or test info. I think you are probably right about legally needing the test results and certification but I think there is a lot of seed sold without it. Nowadays I buy my seed by the ton. (pallet of 40, 50 pound bags, actually)

In a small scale operation you can probably just weigh it on a good scale and get away with it but you won't really be legal. Another option might be to sell it in a plastic bucket and price the bucket without saying it is "x weight" and just saying it is about 5 pounds ie, one bucket of seed $ 12.95, approximately 5 pounds.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what kinda seed you got?
craftsman 22 in with bagger
craftsman 42 in rider
BG55 Stihl Leaf Blower
Toro 21 Inch with Bagger
John Deere Z425 with mulch kit
john deer z425 54 in deck
BR600 Stihl Backpack
Stihl FS90 Trimmer With Brush cutter attatchment
Stihl FS-90Trimmer W/Edger attatchment
Stihl fs-90 Trimmer
crap load of hand tools
PA065297
www.dunlapslawncare.com
Old 06-02-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunlaps LawnCare View Post
what kinda seed you got?
What do you need Matt? I have shady mix, and a "Penn State" style mix in stock always, normally have athletic and a three way turftype perennial rye in stock normally too.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PS, I started stocking and selling 50' rolls of good spunbound typar weed control fabric too.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The legality of 'labels' and 'certified weights' are legal issue put together for the purpose of Consumer Protection... that is their purpose and intent...

Interestting that these 'laws' serve to intimidate people into areas that are not in question... do I need to be protected from a "Rip-Off' selling me a scoop of seed in a paper bag at the local nursery???

Laws are made for a purpose,,, and 'compliance' is not the purpose, unless judges are to become useless appendages of our 'legal system'...
Bureau of Weights and Measures:
[... the broccoli weighed 2.345 oz at 6AM this morning and the weights and Measures Inspector weighed it at 1.987 oz. this afternoon around 2PM... Automatic Penalties take place immediately...]