Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Cat ct660 dump truck

Has anyone one had any experience with the new caterpillar ct 660. I know its a international motor etc.Im looking at the cat ct 15 motor. It might be new truck time and Im drawn to this truck because of the cat support ive experinced with my equipment has been phenomenal. The looks of the truck are really growing on me. Ive test driven them etc but would like to hear from someone that has used them in the field.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The place that services our dump trucks says that the cabs are really small and they had to re-weld the shifters because they interfere with part of the cab when shifting?

Not really a fan of their looks but to each their own.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I will have to ask about that ive test driven a few never experienced the cramped feeling. IMO they have a very well thought out cab as far a gauge placement and comforts. At least compared to my peterbilts.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cabs , frame, is based on the paystar 5600 from what my dealer said. I have a 2006 paystar 5600 and have had zero problems with it so far. Mind you the truck only has 70,000 miles. Apparently the ct15 motor or whatever they call it is a cat c15 bottom end with Navistar ( international) head. I've been toying with the idea of getting a ct660 twin steer dump truck or a paystar 5600 twin steer for almost a year now , wel see how the rest of the year pans out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

ive heard the same but the cat cab is aluminum and had alot of upgrades over international as far as interior quailty rattles snaps etc. My biggest question is about the ct15. International discontinued the Maxforce 15 which is pretty much the same motor. They are going with the ISX with scr technology for its replacement until there new motors is ready. im wondering if the cat trucks will do the same.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My paystar has an aluminum cab as well. Kind of off topic but I heard a rumor that cat is developing on road motors with fiat. That would be an excellent motor if it ever unfolds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
My paystar has an aluminum cab as well. Kind of off topic but I heard a rumor that cat is developing on road motors with fiat. That would be an excellent motor if it ever unfolds.
Posted via Mobile Device
IVECO??? Fiat owns them.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No it wasn't an iveco motor , I know that iveco has been fiat since they purchased cnh. Apparently cat and fiat are working together on marine motors now and the rumor is they are working on truck motors as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

tiger cat worked out a deal with fiat as well for tier 4 motors, making the switch from cummins. kinda off topic
Old 05-23-2013, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Member

got the info I needed from cat yesterday. Unfortunantly i will not be going with the cat truck at this time. They told me the ct660 was designed for east of the mississippi and they are near impossible to get specd out properly so they will weight out correctly in california in a dump truck application. They are coming out with the ct680 which will be out by november that is heavier spec and a set back axle. This is the truck that best suites california's weight laws. I need 450 hp min and they have dropped the ct15 motor as of now and are either going to buy the c15 rights back from navistar and redevelop it or take one of there tier4 motors from one of there off road dump trucks and develop for the road. Nobody can say 100% or if there going to meet the nov launch of ct680. It will be intresting to see if this whole thing works maybe next time.