Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2013, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why Do some hate Exmark???

Personally I don't see a problem with Exmark mowers, but seems like on many of these threads, everyone talks crap about Exmark. What is the deal with that?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Every single trailer I see in my area is loaded with exmark

The stripes are untouchable IMO. I see a couple gravelys a day. But never the holy Gail Scags
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, i see a lot of them to, but on many of these threads, people just disrespect them and say how crapy they are.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing I see is the talk about the poor cut quality when it's wet/damp. This is simply because of the deck design. You can't have a deck that cuts perfectly in dry without having side affects in wet. I'm experiencing this right now with my super z. I have it setup where it cuts remarkably well when dry, but I have never had to scrape a deck more than I have this year because of the wet conditions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think the toro buy out really changed the focus of the company. It seems to always happen when good small companies get swallowed up by corporations that are more profit minded. Used to 2 to 1 every commercial mower bought was an exmark mower, now with toro mark theu have lost alot of ground. Companies like gravely and bad boy are throwing out larger volume now and starting to lead the industry. I am hearing alot of extra factories closing, laying off assembly lines, mower companies in the red, all while bb and gravely are all over the news about expansions yearly and opening up new lines. I honestly believe the corporate viewpoint hits a company, they lose that innovative and stand alone drive. We had 2 major players here running exmark left, but this year one of them bought a 329b 61 hopper, and the other a 54" bb law, and both said never again on the red paint they were fed up. One got stuck with a triton deck, and the other got fed up with the price increases..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lots here. Only bad I here about is the poor cut when wet. They do do a great job when the conditions are right. Scag is really picking up now in my area. Local ace sells a good bit of BB but mostly residential. For a small town ( 10,000) I can go 5 miles from my house and buy DC, BB, toro,scag,gravely,exmark,woods,kubota, grasshopper, and husky. Go another 5 miles ferris, snapper,Deere,hustler, big dog, and probably a few more. To say it lightly we have a lot of small time competition far as mowing goes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess another problem besides the wet cutting is the price. Exmarks are a little pricey
Old 05-23-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

In northern Ohio all you see on trailers is Scag, Walker and Exmark, next to these mowers I'll see some Toro. Never even see a Bad Boy, Gravely, or any of the other mentioned mowers. I have an Exmark and as far as cut quality goes I have the best cut in my neighborhood of 60 houses. The house around the corner outside my development rivels any cut I've any seen, pretty much perfect and it's cut with an exmark.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutLawnCare. View Post
I guess another problem besides the wet cutting is the price. Exmarks are a little pricey
And there lies the answer for their market decline. Exmark makes a top notch mower with a cut that rivals any other machine. The prices have gone up, but you also get more mower than you did 10 years ago. The biggest reason for the decline in our area has been dealer related. They are all still there, but at one time they were pushing exmarks at every sale. Today those same dealers are lining up scags. They will offer exmark upon request, but even go as far as bad mouthing the machines. The reason, price and margins. Simply put scag sales put more money in the dealer pockets unit for unit. I personally think it's bull. We've had scags and after my last experience I will never again. Scag tough my foot, not for us. Believe what you want it's all politics, perks, and margins.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
And there lies the answer for their market decline. Exmark makes a top notch mower with a cut that rivals any other machine. The prices have gone up, but you also get more mower than you did 10 years ago. The biggest reason for the decline in our area has been dealer related. They are all still there, but at one time they were pushing exmarks at every sale. Today those same dealers are lining up scags. They will offer exmark upon request, but even go as far as bad mouthing the machines. The reason, price and margins. Simply put scag sales put more money in the dealer pockets unit for unit. I personally think it's bull. We've had scags and after my last experience I will never again. Scag tough my foot, not for us. Believe what you want it's all politics, perks, and margins.
Scag makes a great product. Even the best mowers out there will have issues.