Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag Help!!

OK, so yesterday on my 13th yard my mower started acting up on me. Let's just say this kitty is a year old. I noticed the fuel filter was dirty and changed it out.

Symptoms: back fires once when you give it a full throttle (occasionally) as well as when you idle it down all the way (occasionally). It idles lower than normal and doesn't sound like it is going 100%. When trying to go wide open it cuts the power down and sounds as if you start cutting 3' high grass (engine idle and tone). The cut quality lacks because the engine cannot supply the normal power to the blades as it usually does. I have to mow SLOW and sometimes cut it twice at reasonable grass heights. It used to when engaging the PTO idle down, but now it stays up just a bit under par. IF I Can remember correctly, it only occurs when moving forward, but I cannot remember. The tensioner/idler pulley on the deck seems to be shaking a bit more than normal (blades NEED sharpening, but maybe out of balance or pulley needs adjusting)? It just is not acting right and I have had no problems since this.

Things I have tried: I have cleaned the carburetor completely, changed out the fuel filter, added techtron fuel treatment to both tanks (as seen in another thread), cleaned both air filters, cleaned the spark plugs and re-gapped them (had a little smoke colored tint to them), and I think that is all.

I have maintained my mower fairly well and by everything the manual says. Changed the oil, filters and keep it greased up. I love this ol' girl (last years model off the floor) and she has treated me well having 180.9 hrs on it. I would love to repair the machine myself as one Kawasaki Dealer even under warranty is 5 weeks behind! I have got to get this thing going soon. I have experience tearing down a small engine and car engine, so I am just puzzled at what might be causing this. The manual says the spark plugs should be changed every 100 hrs and I havent done that going on 200 soon. I don't know if I should do this to do it since I missed that mark or if it could be causing it. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! I have a Walk behind, but I am waiting on wheel drive belts . As we all know, mower down=down time=losing money. Weird that it is a year old and doing this. I am unaware if I cause this, bad gas, clogged fuel filter, fowl plugs, etc. Oh, it did it one time and I prayed it would stop and clear up and it did. It just came back this time. Rain has been hitting us good and grass is growing, so I don't want to get too far behind. Thanks again guys.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Just got an air filter and new plugs. Both installed and still doing the same mentioned above.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

weird...first guess was a carb issue with a plugged jet. sometimes on these small engines the jets are very small and you think you get them clean, but you didn't.....I'd suggest making sure you're getting good and consistent spark. Maybe a faulty plug wire, it's shorted out somewhere, loose connection on the plug/wire.

if you can't get it soon, drop it at your dealer. it's under warranty so let the dealer sort it out. If he's a reputable dealer, he will have a loaner for you to use. I'd also think he'd give a commercial guy priority over home owner equipment, especially if you bought the machine from there. Good luck and post back what happens. I have a Scag as well with a Kawi.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure how I could check for a short in the plug wire other than a visual inspection of it, but they are good and tight on the plug. It does seem like a carburetor issue even though I cleaned it "good." I have never had any problems and just all of a sudden it did this, so it kind of threw me off, well you know...you have the same combo. One dealer was 5 weeks behind the other could get to it Tuesday (not fixing it) and there are a few others I will give a try. The dealer I bought it from is HORRIBLE! Won't give out any information and if you weren't his customer he wouldn't give you the time. I hope he has a loaner. How does that work by the way? What do you ask? I think I will call around tomorrow to see if the other two will do or swap me out a mower so I don't mow jungles when I get back. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a too lean condition. Could be in the carb or if the carb is not sealing good against the intake (vacuum leak) or possibly valves need adjusted. Just some things to check. does it run better with the choke pulled out a little bit? If so its a lean condition if not it may be electrical. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Misc Handhelds
Old 05-24-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Hmm..It runs the same choked or not. I guess I will just have to take it to the dealer and hope he has a loaner. He is a jacka** to say the least. I don't see how he is still in business to be honest. I will keep you updated.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
Hmm..It runs the same choked or not. I guess I will just have to take it to the dealer and hope he has a loaner. He is a jacka** to say the least. I don't see how he is still in business to be honest. I will keep you updated.
..because people like you keep buying stuff from him????
Old 05-24-2013, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need to get the engine info for these guys to help lyou.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you pulled plug wires to see if it is running on one cylinder?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Engine is a Kawasaki FX691V 24hp. I haven't pulled the plug wires yet to check the one cylinder. I will try that and get back with you guys.