Register free!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Must have's and what to stay away from for the new guy?

Currently my company primarily does mowing, and in march when all of our flyers went out, I referred at least 40 customers to the company that does out fert and weed control for us. So, I'm going to tackle my licensing this year, just wondering what the best things to start off with would be? I have been looking for an electric back pack sprayer just for my guys to use on the homes we spray the flower beds and assumed that would come in handy for a fert/spray truck, I also currently have a stainless lesco spreader from probably 7 years ago, but if i remember rite, spykers are the ones to have? how about the other things? what size tank would you start off with? electric hose reel?

easy way to ask, if you could start over, knowing what you know now, what would you have?

Thanks!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Started some time ago.
A lot depends on what you think your base will be. Small customers or large? I have a mix as I cut grass and do this too. The small stuff was bought new. The Permagreen was bought used.
Haves
Several back pack sprayers to spay different products.
At least one good push spreader to only use when needed if you are old. I'm old and have not used once this year. Its a Spyker too.
2 spot spray tanks with plenty of hose. One for round up type and, one for 3 way for turf. a marine battery. I run all day on a good charge.
Nurse tank. Size depends on customer base and when and where you can fill. Mines only 25 gallon. I also carry water in other jugs if I feel as though I will need.
One Permagreen or something like to do the jobs over 2,000 sq. feet.
All safety equipment needed. Bunches of little stuff like hoses, measuring cup, buckets. Don't over think it.
Of course a truck and trailer to haul and make your rounds.
These items I use. I can get in and out, get the job done required. If one item goes down, I can still finish. Nothing here broke the bank and can easily be replaced. No electric hose wheel.
Good Luck to you. I wish I would have gotten mine years before I did. Better money than just cutting grass.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lesco spreader is just fine. Essential, in fact.

A back pack sprayer and several hand sprayers should keep you going. You will need small sprayers for different chemicals.
A 200 gallon skid sprayer is very useful. I prefer gas engine.
Most people start out as 2-step companies. Apply the fert; spray the weeds. Straight forward. And the quality of the results is high--if you are careful. Quality can be higher than those companies who mix fert and herbicide together. You do need an electric hose reel.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ya most of my current customer base is smaller residential, I sold all of my commercial accounts off a few years ago.

Are there any brands to stay away from for pumps or sprayers? Or a good place to purchase all the goodies from?

Thanks for the replies!!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is my 1st year full time. I started with a 50 gallon spray tank, push spreader and a couple hand cans. I want a ride on spreader for sure. I have added a 100 gallon tank to my equipment.

The key thing I am working on is a good invoicing/scheduling program now..
Old 06-12-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfWerks View Post
This is my 1st year full time. I started with a 50 gallon spray tank, push spreader and a couple hand cans. I want a ride on spreader for sure. I have added a 100 gallon tank to my equipment.

The key thing I am working on is a good invoicing/scheduling program now..
JOBBER!!! I just started it last week and it has already paid for itself in saved time. I love it.
EVERYONE They have a free, no CC required, 30 day trial. The trial allows you to use every single feature without restrictions. I've been emailing quotes directly from it. No download either. It is web based. I can't recommend it enough.
I think there is a Jobber rep running around here.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafrance4078 View Post
JOBBER!!! I just started it last week and it has already paid for itself in saved time. I love it.
EVERYONE They have a free, no CC required, 30 day trial. The trial allows you to use every single feature without restrictions. I've been emailing quotes directly from it. No download either. It is web based. I can't recommend it enough.
I think there is a Jobber rep running around here.
I don't have full time internet acess.. I live in an area where I can get overly priced satellite internet.. Ive considered it.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I've been using it on an iPad or iPhone and 3G sprint service. Guess I assumed most had cellular available. Good luck finding a solution. I remember several years ago, someone posted an amazing spreadsheet with Macros that allowed for emailing straight from the sheet, graphs, logo on estimates, schedule, etc. I could make one, but would take me a while. Don't have enough spare time.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have unlimited data on my galaxy S4. Would it work through my phone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2013, 04:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually I already have Real Green Systems Service Assistant, so I'm covered in the invoicing/routing side of things.