Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Anybody run a F-550 landscape dump to tow their mowing trailer?

Wondering if anybody uses a truck like this to pull a mowing trailer. I'd really like to run one of these for both maintenance and landscaping/construction. I'm a little afraid of the length pulling a 16' + trailer in residential communities.

I'm looking at a truck like this with a 12' landscape dump

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=4366605

Or this one with a 11' contractor dump body

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=3428045
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

We run a regular cab 550 dump and a 350 extended cab dump w 20 ft landscape and a 16ft landscape.

Depends on the route as to which trailer is attached to which truck.

Sometimes parking is a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2013, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I have seen many outfits use that setup for mowing. They probably do more than mowing but i do see a lot of them with mowing trailers.
1996 Ram 2500 12 valve CTD
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
2 Walker MT 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 06-22-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I have an older fsuperduty (11' dump) and I find the bed blocks my vision some when needing to back up, change lanes, etc. The turning radius is bigger than my 150, as well. That being said you will probably get used to going a little slower and being careful.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a GMC C4500 with a 12" body very similar to the one in first link for mowing although its used for other things also.Right now it pulls a 12' open trailer but next season,Iplan on an 18" and quite possibly a 20 footer.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMichigan View Post
I have an older fsuperduty (11' dump) and I find the bed blocks my vision some when needing to back up, change lanes, etc. The turning radius is bigger than my 150, as well. That being said you will probably get used to going a little slower and being careful.
This is just the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks!

I too will be using this truck for more than just mowing. I agree that me and my guys will probably get used to it after a while.

Thanks for the help guys!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Mine is a beast, great for leaves, sticks, grass clippings, snow plowing, dirt work, rocks, hauling salt, snow, etc. I can't pass a gas station without stopping though... Repairs get expensive though since everything is super sized on there. Here in SW Michigan I would say it seems half of the guys doing landscaping full time have dump beds on their trucks.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My twin ram 4500s had vision in mind when I ordered them. I have 14 inch contractor sides with a 8 inch carved sign/board so I have excellent vision plus the bulkhead I ordered had not one but 3 groupings of cut outs. This was to make sure I could see my trailers. Both are crew cabs with 9 foot dumps we tow a 16 and a 20 foot trailer with them giving me 43 feet and 48 feet for total lengths. I absolutely love them and you can check them out on my web site if you need too picture them. I even have a few pics with trailers in the lawn mowing page.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
My twin ram 4500s had vision in mind when I ordered them. I have 14 inch contractor sides with a 8 inch carved sign/board so I have excellent vision plus the bulkhead I ordered had not one but 3 groupings of cut outs. This was to make sure I could see my trailers. Both are crew cabs with 9 foot dumps we tow a 16 and a 20 foot trailer
Kelly's,

I absolutely love your RAM's! Two of the best looking trucks on this site! I have a few questions for you if you don't mind, how much we're the bodys on your trucks? I'd probably go with a little longer wheelbase and bed then yours, probably 12'. I like the RAM trucks, and I'm not much of a Ford man. But all the RAM's around here are C&C trucks, and are more expensive then the F-4/550's already upfitted with a body. I'm about ready to say screw it and just order exactly what I wan't. After all YOLO, right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Outfitting was 8000 in 2011 then in 2012 it jumped to like 8400 for the same thing id gotten the previous year. The dealer took care of it so its wrapped into the price of the truck. I have the slt package and put the money into the rims and running boards where it would look the best. I didn't go for the audio upgrades they pushed but it is a work truck after all.

The trucks with out the beds with all the options I had were about 50,000 for the 2011 and about 55,000 for the 2012 that year we added 4wd. A decision I do regret I seldom ever need it and it hit the fuel mileage hard about 3 miles a gallon less than her older sister.

All said and done with all the little charges they tack on they ran us 60k and 65k. We been paying them off quickly though I think were down to about 75k left on them.

I just spent my Sunday washing them the 2011 now has 19,400 miles on her the 2012 has a very low 4,600 miles on her. My guess is they may last a few more years