Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Which of these tires?

http://www.smalltires.com/categories...ze=24-12.00-12

i'm leaning towards the turf saver (2nd page) because it looks smooth enough to not tear up the grass. but will it get enough traction to not slip when i turn, which would thus tear up the grass.

The grassmaster is cheapest, but is also used on kabota's. sounds like it may be too aggressive for mowing?

which would you recommend?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not a fan at all of the Turf Saver tires. The compound is very hard, and they seem to slip too easily in the grass. They also have large lugs that are shallow and have no siping in them to help with traction. I wouldn't trust them for sidehilling on a ZTR. The Turf Master is the most commonly used Z tire, but give a choice I'll take the Multi Trac's any day over the others. Some don't like them because they are slightly rounded in profile compared to the Turf Masters, but that's exactly why I do. They don't have quite as large a footprint, and thus tend to tear less on turns. They still flatten out enough to spread out the weight that they don't rut IME.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks. that is what i was worried about with the turf saver. it's the problem i have with my bald tires. they do not get enough traction, and they tear once traction is broke.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what do you think of the TURF TRAC R/S? it has more bite than the turf saver. less bite than the turf master. not quite as rounded as the TURF TRAC C/S. also has 2 more ply than both
Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those have pretty good traction, but they are very rounded. I've had them in the past on a garden tractor. They come on a lot of Dixie Choppers, or at least used to.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the grassmastor on my kubota zd326. It is a grippy tire, does not slide on hills and tracton is never an issue. It only hurts turf on tight corners. I actually want to try the AT 101 on my kubota. My grasshoper has them on it and you can plant your left tire and literally do a 0 turn without leaving a hole in the grass. Also never really left tree rings.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by JCLawn and more; 06-18-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When you decide on one check with your local tire store. They may be able to get what you want for less. I just picked up a carlisle multi trac 18 x 10.5 x 10 for my walker. $125 at dealer and on line, $75 from local tire store for the exact same 4 ply tire.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i didnt ask for a specific model. so i assume it was turf master. they said 160 each

i think i will go with TURF TRAC R/S. not real smooth, but not quite as agressive as turf master. seems to be about in the middle. so i think itl give me decent traction, without riping the turf as bad as turf master
Old 06-19-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
i didnt ask for a specific model. so i assume it was turf master. they said 160 each

i think i will go with TURF TRAC R/S. not real smooth, but not quite as agressive as turf master. seems to be about in the middle. so i think itl give me decent traction, without riping the turf as bad as turf master
If you want to see what they look like mounted before buying, go to a JD dealer and look at the Z445 or Z465. They have the exact same tires on them though they are 22X9.50's instead of 24x12-12's.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well. i'm not as worried about seeing how they look as much as hear experience on how they work. i'm tired of ripping grass at the end of each row. i think its mostly because i have bald tires so i slip around alot, but still.