Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-19-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Gravely HD52 or Ferris IS600Z?

If this would be better in the equipment section, then feel free to move it.

I'm looking for a new mower. I will be mowing my personal lawn and occasionally my churchyard. Mine is around 1.5 acres, the church is about 2. I build houses for my main living and some landscaping. I do all of the landscaping on the houses I build and am a few others throughout the year. I don't advertise the landscaping and have never offered lawn care, but would like to have fairly capable equipment if I wanted to start.

Of these two, which is the better mower. The Ferris appears to have better components, but the Gravely is the more popular brand. Price is very close, just under $5000 for the Gravely, just over $5000 for the Ferris. Which has a better cut? Which will hold up better longer? Which is all around better?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Member

The Ferris has better engine options and better transmission. One thing to look at with the Ferris is how much of the deck can you see when sitting down. I couldn't see the edge of the deck without leaning over and that was on a 61 inch. Ferris ICD deck gets great reviews for the cut. Not sure about the Gravely HD. I know my Pro Turn 152 cuts awesome.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdyrabbit View Post
If this would be better in the equipment section, then feel free to move it.

I'm looking for a new mower. I will be mowing my personal lawn and occasionally my churchyard. Mine is around 1.5 acres, the church is about 2. I build houses for my main living and some landscaping. I do all of the landscaping on the houses I build and am a few others throughout the year. I don't advertise the landscaping and have never offered lawn care, but would like to have fairly capable equipment if I wanted to start.

Of these two, which is the better mower. The Ferris appears to have better components, but the Gravely is the more popular brand. Price is very close, just under $5000 for the Gravely, just over $5000 for the Ferris. Which has a better cut? Which will hold up better longer? Which is all around better?

Thanks for the help.
I can't help you with which one to pick between those two. But you should try to find out more about each dealer in your area. How far is each one from your residence and how good is the dealer? A bad dealer can almost 'kill' your purchase... Also, how much the company will stand behind their products in time of troubles is another big part of the purchase equation. How far will they be willing to go to help you?

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just took a look at the Ferris and it looks like an interesting mower. But I noticed that the ROPS doesn't fold. I hope you don't have branches or other situations where the mower wouldn't be able to get there because of access (ROPS interfering).

One more thing, I had a 2013 Kaw FX600V (which is superior to the FS that comes with the Ferris) and when I upgraded to a 2013 FX691V, I was truly impressed by how much 'better' the engine is. Just to give you an idea; the FX691V is only 20% more powerful in terms of cc, but the air filter is more than double the size of the FX600V.

If you can, get a mower with a Kawasaki, an FX and a 691 over a 600.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to both of you. I've looked at both mowers, but I haven't looked as good at the Ferris in person. I'm going to try to get back by there today. I know I could see the deck fine on the Gravely, but it also has a wider deck. I didn't get on the Ferris when I was looking. Both dealers seem fine. Gravely is a little closer, but only by 15 minutes or so. Not enough to make a difference. I've always heard Gravely has good customer service, but I'm not as familiar with Ferris. To be honest, I had never heard of Ferris until I started looking. Even then I only looked because it has a suspension, but now it seems to be the better mower. My main concern with it is that if they are as good as I keep reading, why do I not see more around?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdyrabbit View Post
Thanks to both of you. I've looked at both mowers, but I haven't looked as good at the Ferris in person. I'm going to try to get back by there today. I know I could see the deck fine on the Gravely, but it also has a wider deck. I didn't get on the Ferris when I was looking. Both dealers seem fine. Gravely is a little closer, but only by 15 minutes or so. Not enough to make a difference. I've always heard Gravely has good customer service, but I'm not as familiar with Ferris. To be honest, I had never heard of Ferris until I started looking. Even then I only looked because it has a suspension, but now it seems to be the better mower. My main concern with it is that if they are as good as I keep reading, why do I not see more around?
Posted via Mobile Device
It might be misguided to select your equipment based on what is most popular. The reasons why something is popular or not can vary greatly. Price could be a factor. Maybe those in the areas where you looked have less income, or hold different beliefs in regards to maintaining lawns. Also, paying more doesn't always give you more.

When I was looking at all the ztr available, one thing that stuck in the back of my mind in regards to Ferris was the following; it definitely has a fantastic suspension which will isolate me from the roughness of the ground. But wouldn't that make me go faster, since I do not feel anything, or very little and therefore be more damaging to the mower? A rough terrain at highher speed will be harder on a mower. So having some feel for the roughness of the soil might keep me at a more reasonable speed given the ground condition. There is a price to pay for everything.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I was wondering about the ROPS myself. I keep the one on my tractor folded most of the time. I was going to ask the dealer if it could be removed and if that affected the warranty or anything if it was. I'm not crazy about the solid bar.

I've never been one to care much about which brand was more popular and don't base my decisions on that. I was just curious why I don't see more on commercial crews mainly. I wondered if it was an indication of how they hold up, but I don't think that's the case. I think it's more the fact that there's only one dealer anywhere around versus 30 Gravely dealers.
Posted via Mobile Device