Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking for some tips on weed removal (Picture)

Hi everyone,

I have been browsing this site for years but have just started my own landscaping company so hello!

I have been given a weed removal job in an area around where I live and am looking for a few tips / advice on how to go about this one. There are many weeds some even 1/2 - 1" thick because they have not been touched in years I am guessing.

The customer wants the area down to bare ground so I have bought some Ortho groundclear and also 41% Gly from Home Depot to spray down afterwards. I am planning on giving it two applications after I remove & weed whack as best I can what is there now.

I am planning on pulling the root system of the larger weeds and weed whacking smaller weeds and overgrown grass, raking it out getting it down to ground as best I can and then spraying it twice. I was also thinking maybe using a pick axe to loosen the ground a bit sort of like a tiller.

Here is a picture of the area. Thank you for all your help and I wish everyone a good, happy, healthy season!

Old 06-20-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I would just weed whack the area down and then use a tiller to go over the area a few times and then rake out any debris that is left over. That would probably be the easiest way to do it.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

just spray it and don't do anything else. after a week or two it will all be bare ground. if there's anything left you can use the trimmer to trim it down at that point.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
just spray it and don't do anything else. after a week or two it will all be bare ground. if there's anything left you can use the trimmer to trim it down at that point.
agreed. Will be brown and stiff in a short time if you use the glyphosate once. Twice is not necessary if done right once. I don't think you will find bare ground in two weeks but you won't find any green there. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
I wouldn't do this. When you weed wack you get a lot of dust. You would be breathing in toxic dust. Pesticides and herbicides are causing an increasing amount of problems in the world - massive bee deaths, birth defects, not to mention 500 people die every day world wide due to pesticides and herbicides.
You can usually rent a rototiller for $45 or $60 a day from your rental place and get it done like that. But that causes the roots to get mixed in and you might have to go and sift through it after that.
You can use a shovel and get the roots and haul it away with or without the dirt on the roots.
good luck that doesn't look that bad
Old 06-22-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the help everyone. I should be finishing this one up this week.
1 Cor 13:13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you are not going to spray glyphosate at 41%... also I should let you know that gly doesn't get to soak into the plant once you cut all the leaves of with a weed-whip first... it becomes useless as soon as it hits the dirt and that is going to be your surface area to spray on...
Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

spray the 41% gly at a rate of 2.5 oz per gallon to cover 1,000 sq. ft. Coat the leaves well, and add a few drops of dish soap if you don't have any spreader sticker--this will help the gly to dry on the leaf instead of drip off. Wait a week, and trim down. Respray 2 or 3 weeks later.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership