Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Deck Rebuild & Patio Addition - Central VA

Good Morning Folks,

I'm a fairly new homeowner (3 years) and the house I bought hadn't been updated in quite some time (if ever), so I've spent the past few years updating a bunch on the inside & clearing out most of the backyard. Along with fixing any & everything that breaks on a 30-year old home, which seems to be everything! The time has come to shift the focus to the deck before we fall through it! The deck may be original to the home, if not original at least 15-20 years old and it has a weird design to it. We'd like to replace part of the deck with a new bigger deck and then have that lead to a nice stone/paver patio.

Although I like DIY jobs, my fiance wants this project done this summer so we will be hiring the work out. I appreciate all of the contractors/homeowners using this forum and posting their guidance & pictures. It has helped give us ideas for sure! We are looking to have a 20x14 deck that leads down to a ~14x25 stone patio (including a firepit) that would be up against the back of the house. Our budget is $10-$12K range...lesser the better!

I will post pictures of the current situation this evening along with our ideas for the new layout. I was wondering if you all could help shed some light on our layout and any recommendations.

More importantly, what should I be asking the contractors I am receiving estimates from? For example, 1 talked about gravel, rock dust, paver/stone, polymer sand...while another said they would install a concrete slab underneath the patio area first. Any recommendations on contractors?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Deck Rebuild & Patio Addition - Central VA

If you want the patio to stay there forever and not move when the ground settles go with the concrete base. If u wanna go the cheap way gravel and stone dust work but eventually shift the pavers or stones

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There's a few guys on here from Central VA that may be able to help you out, I wish I could, but I have no experience in decks/patios. Good luck to you!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ahh.... vecchio do you have any experience doing pavers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your budget is rather low to do what you explained you want.

In terms of the possible fire pit - make sure it is situated at least 25 feet away from the dwelling, decking, and any other wooden structures.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bentlyvt, please discredit the post from vecchio. Not accurate information.

Bent - you looking to do this in pavers or in natural stone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2013, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

With that budget in mind you may want to consider patio stones set on crushed stone and a ptw deck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=bentleyvt;4797112]Good Morning Folks,

I'm a fairly new homeowner (3 years) and the house I bought hadn't been updated in quite some time (if ever), so I've spent the past few years updating a bunch on the inside & clearing out most of the backyard. Along with fixing any & everything that breaks on a 30-year old home, which seems to be everything! The time has come to shift the focus to the deck before we fall through it! The deck may be original to the home, if not original at least 15-20 years old and it has a weird design to it. We'd like to replace part of the deck with a new bigger deck and then have that lead to a nice stone/paver patio.

Although I like DIY jobs, my fiance wants this project done this summer so we will be hiring the work out. I appreciate all of the contractors/homeowners using this forum and posting their guidance & pictures. It has helped give us ideas for sure! We are looking to have a 20x14 deck that leads down to a ~14x25 stone patio (including a firepit) that would be up against the back of the house. Our budget is $10-$12K range...lesser the better!

I will post pictures of the current situation this evening along with our ideas for the new layout. I was wondering if you all could help shed some light on our layout and any recommendations.

More importantly, what should I be asking the contractors I am receiving estimates from? For example, 1 talked about gravel, rock dust, paver/stone, polymer sand...while another said they would install a concrete slab underneath the patio area first. Any recommendations on contractors?

Thanks

Wow. If you can get that done for 10-12k that would be a great deal. Don't think that would cover the cost of quality materials around here. Assume you are using PT for the deck, and not composit.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

why not do all pavers....i did 1700 sqft last year...originally i only wanted about 1200 sqft but the more i did the price per sqft went down...i will never do any wood deck again with the small price difference, longevity, and ease of maintenence of pavers....also its very easy to level in future and you will also have ability to get to water/sewer/electrical lines in the future much easier with pavers than a wood deck
Old 06-24-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Sorry, I had a busy weekend but I finally attached some pictures to give a better idea of what we are working with and then some more words & pictures of what we would like.

Current Situation (I know its unsafe! No kids despite the baby pool! haha)
Deck is 16x12ft
Driveway to deck is ~25 ft

Our Hopes
Deck - Increased to 20x14 (tight fit b/w heat pump and gas line on other side). Completely replaced, but I will take down existing deck.

Patio w/ fire pit - taking up much of the area that was the existing runway/weeds/deck next to driveway which is ~25x14. I'd be okay making the width shorter in some areas by bring in some curves...and also bowing it out to include a fire pit on the far side with a seating wall around.

Pressure-treated wood is fine for the deck, its what I'm used to and I think they can look nice with a good stain. For the patio, we'd love to do a natural stone ($7-8/sq ft. stone) look but I think pavers are more in our price range.