Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-23-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

skidsteer attach to spread stone/gravel

were bidding a job on spreading about 6000 ton of 3/8 gravel between a curb and sidewalk with varying widths of 3 to 6' wide.. I thought ive seen something that would go on front of a skidsteer that is like a box that has a little conveyor to shoot the stone out of the side of the attach.

anyone seen anything like this or have any better suggestions? ty
Old 06-23-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I think you should get all of it delivered in a stone slinger truck and have it placed that way. Then have couple guys with rakes
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://lansing.craigslist.org/grd/3864984596.html

slinger truck would be big money.

Thing about renting a 3 yd wheelloader for a few days. That would be fastest.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is one of those attachments for sale here I saw for 4K. Its got a conveyor on it, 90" wide. You would likely needs a 3000 plus ROC to use it I would think.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

A stone slinger would make a bit of a mess on the road....what about having it delivered in a redi-mix truck? I have done it that way before....works very well with a good redi-mix truck driver. The truck can just drive along and lay it out right to grade.....maybe a little raking and biggity-bang your done.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

http://cnj.craigslist.org/bfs/3802774894.html
Seems to overcomplicate it. Having it delivered in the slinger truck or concrete truck seems genius. Shipping and installation in one shot. Why buy this, truck it, dump it, use skid to move it around, an clean up after it if you don't have to. Just have 2 guys in a pickup truck do the whole thing with rakes shovels and brooms
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
http://cnj.craigslist.org/bfs/3802774894.html
Seems to overcomplicate it. Having it delivered in the slinger truck or concrete truck seems genius. Shipping and installation in one shot. Why buy this, truck it, dump it, use skid to move it around, an clean up after it if you don't have to. Just have 2 guys in a pickup truck do the whole thing with rakes shovels and brooms
Posted via Mobile Device

im thinking of a slinger truck as well. I just hate relying on subs and would prefer to do it in house.

the slinger truck rates are significantly higher than a tri axle rate (with just cause) so it wouldn't be economical for him to get it, plus if he does pick it up the quarry is at least an hour away, so for him to leave the site and come back would be a production killer. so if the slinger truck stays on site i'll have to put a loader/operator on site. at that point why not just use a big skidder with the attach of the link you show.. thanks for all the input so far guys!

I looked at the mulch blowers and they say they can blow small stone aggregate as well, does anyone have any experience with one blowing stone thru it?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoFun View Post
were bidding a job on spreading about 6000 ton of 3/8 gravel between a curb and sidewalk with varying widths of 3 to 6' wide.. I thought ive seen something that would go on front of a skidsteer that is like a box that has a little conveyor to shoot the stone out of the side of the attach.

anyone seen anything like this or have any better suggestions? ty
Here is one way I did it once this way
Gravity Wagon Load it drive a long the curb and let flow out the side .
You make a longer funnel to get the distance you need.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Another way would be to get one of the old town dump trucks that has a salt spreader conveyor in the bed. I see them using it for topsoil etc. have you explored the concrete truck route? Hire two out and have them alternate
Old 06-24-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Another way would be to get one of the old town dump trucks that has a salt spreader conveyor in the bed. I see them using it for topsoil etc. have you explored the concrete truck route? Hire two out and have them alternate

didn't check into the mix trucks but will today..

I did think about the v box spreader though, they could straddle the area to be stoned and drive away! thanks for the validation, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
Dump it in as needed. Use a cement screed. Or get an electric vibrator, place on a 6ft 2x4 and screed by hand. Are you packing with a tamper?

i'll look into the screed, its just decorative stone so no tamping needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by excav8ter View Post
A blower truck would be cost prohibitive in my opinion....they experience a high amount of wear due to the stone blowing through the lines.

I would look into having the biggest trucks available, haul the stone to the closest redi-mix plant and have re loaded into the redi-mix trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
there actually setting up a mobile batch plant on the site so this could work! gotta see what there rates are though..

thanks guys