Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-24-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

shorthanded

one of my guys quit today without any warning. he was out trimming shrubs at an account we do a ton of maintenance for, sent me a text around 1 that he quit and was heading back to the shop with my truck. no explanation whatsoever. I was working nearby, so I headed back to wait for him. when I asked what the problem was he wouldnt' say anything other than "I quit". He had been a good employee until about two weeks or so ago, I definitely noticed a decline in the quality of everything he was doing and a lack of attention to detail. I had talked to him about it he seemed to understand and then this....I've had to fire guys for various things but this is the first one I've had quit in the middle of the workday lol. kind of a head scratcher.
(2) 2012 bobcat 48'' classic pro wb's
stihl br 600 backpacks
husky saws, trimmers, etc...
18' Doolittle enclosed trailer
monster 18hp truck loader
yanmar vio40 excavator
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

id say good riddance. someone that quits right in the middle of a job? that's no good. if he was one of my guys, hed receive no pay for that day, and no good recommendation if a future employer calls. find you some real help, that's about as sorry as you can get. he could have at least finished the job.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw a kid quit across the street from my house. I could hear everything This was a solo guy with one helper. He asked the kid about 5 times, you quit?! you quit?! huh?! you quit?! you quit?! you quit?! I saw the jacking around under a magnolia tree, and he quit in the middle of that job. That owner was red hot mad.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Zach and that guy would own you in court. Been through a bunch of employees all u can do is pay him and go on your way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like he was burned out. It just happens. I had a guy quit on the second lawn. Said he didn't think lawn care would be this. Who knows what goes through peoples heads
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerr83 View Post
one of my guys quit today without any warning. he was out trimming shrubs at an account we do a ton of maintenance for, sent me a text around 1 that he quit and was heading back to the shop with my truck. no explanation whatsoever. I was working nearby, so I headed back to wait for him. when I asked what the problem was he wouldnt' say anything other than "I quit". He had been a good employee until about two weeks or so ago, I definitely noticed a decline in the quality of everything he was doing and a lack of attention to detail. I had talked to him about it he seemed to understand and then this....I've had to fire guys for various things but this is the first one I've had quit in the middle of the workday lol. kind of a head scratcher.
Wonder if he has a backup plan. Was a sorry thing to do either way
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You say he was a good worker up until a couple of weeks ago.

If that is the case then let a couple days go by and call him ask if everything is ok. Maybe there was a death in the family, or some other bad news in the family. Some families are tight and something may hit someone else harder than others.

Some people automatically think the worst about an individual...he's a piece of crap, he's worthless, workers like that should be slapped around blah blah blah blah blah blah and blah.....

I'm not saying be a counselor or a best friend but calling and asking isn't going to hurt and being good help is hard to find, it may help both of you.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaberLawnCare View Post
You say he was a good worker up until a couple of weeks ago.

If that is the case then let a couple days go by and call him ask if everything is ok. Maybe there was a death in the family, or some other bad news in the family. Some families are tight and something may hit someone else harder than others.

Some people automatically think the worst about an individual...he's a piece of crap, he's worthless, workers like that should be slapped around blah blah blah blah blah blah and blah.....

I'm not saying be a counselor or a best friend but calling and asking isn't going to hurt and being good help is hard to find, it may help both of you.
I tend to agree. Although I believe walking off a job is basically unforgiveable, it certainly sounds like this guy is dealing with some personal issues.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes it is bad to walk off the job, but what if something is going on at home and just needed to get away from the job that day. call him in a week and ask if all things is ok. do this only if he was a good worker.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

the thing is, I had a talk with him recently when I noticed his performance and attitude starting to slide. I asked him what was going on and he didn't have much to say. I havn't yelled at these guys or been unnecessarily hard on them so I really don't get it. Maybe he was just burned out.
(2) 2012 bobcat 48'' classic pro wb's
stihl br 600 backpacks
husky saws, trimmers, etc...
18' Doolittle enclosed trailer
monster 18hp truck loader
yanmar vio40 excavator