Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

JD LT166 blades not staying engaged

I have an older model John Deere LT166 riding mower that engages the blades by rotating a lever to move an idler pulley. The lever will not stay in the engaged position. If I put a lightweight bungee cord on it just as a helper, you can engage and disengage safely, but I wanted to fix it correctly. The belt was very old, so I thought maybe it was too stretched to provide enough tension to stay engaged. I replaced the belt, but it still doesn't stay engaged. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment for belt tensioning that might solve the problem? Is there supposed to be some notch that the arm engages into that is likely worn down? Thanks for any help.
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

is there a belt tensioner spring that has broken. Ive had that happen with an electronic pto before where the end of the spring broke and there was no tension on the pto belt causing the blades to not want to engage. replaced the spring and it worked great.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The blades engage fine and belt doesn't slip as long as the engagement arm is held in place. I don't see any tensioner spring. Thanks
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Deere's web site has parts diagrams that may help you figure it out. My guess is a missing spring.
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...ageServlet_Alt
Old 06-25-2013, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

The belt wont slip it just wont have enough tension to engage when the spring is in place the belt will have enough tension to engage.