Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mid season calls

Anyone getting them yet? I must have got about a dozen calls in the past week. Only landed 3 of them. The ones that seemed worth doing. Most common reason given to me was "My lawn guy stopped showing up"!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've gotten them before but I'm actually glad not so far this year.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I always wonder why the stopped showing up. Was laziness, lack of resposibility, or was the customer a pita. I always ask who was doing it, then I have a credit card on file for any billing "issues."
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I've got quite a few in the last week or two. This late in the season I bump the rates up a bit and only take stuff near lawns that I'm already servicing.

One lady I added this week said that her previous lawn service told her they would trim and edge weekly, but rarely did. After looking at the lawn I'm not sure they had trimmed or edged all season.

Soon after finishing her lawn another lady from down the street walked up to me and said her lawn service hadn't shown up in 2 weeks and she needed somebody reliable. I ended up with two new lawns in a neighborhood I was already servicing.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleLawncare View Post
I've got quite a few in the last week or two. This late in the season I bump the rates up a bit and only take stuff near lawns that I'm already servicing.

One lady I added this week said that her previous lawn service told her they would trim and edge weekly, but rarely did. After looking at the lawn I'm not sure they had trimmed or edged all season.

Soon after finishing her lawn another lady from down the street walked up to me and said her lawn service hadn't shown up in 2 weeks and she needed somebody reliable. I ended up with two new lawns in a neighborhood I was already servicing.
perfect, that is always a bonus
2010 Ford F 150 Super Crew 4X4
2011 Walker MTefi 26hp 52"
2013 Wright Sentar Sport 36"
2013 Wright Sentar X 52"
2014 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2013 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2012 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2011 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
Old 07-03-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bln View Post
Yes, I always wonder why the stopped showing up. Was laziness, lack of resposibility, or was the customer a pita. I always ask who was doing it, then I have a credit card on file for any billing "issues."
Posted via Mobile Device
I generated a few mid season callers this month. Slow payers buh-bye.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

i never get why people lie about the condition of their lawn over the phone...like we're not going to see it when we get there anyway.
and as far as other companies not showing up...I picked up three accounts together on a street where I already had a couple midway through last season because their previous company became unreliable and then just stopped showing up altogether. all three where pretty wild the first time I cut there. i priced accordingly and gave a price for regular weekly service all three have turned out to be great customers, though i never anticipated that a year ago....ya never know
(2) 2012 bobcat 48'' classic pro wb's
stihl br 600 backpacks
husky saws, trimmers, etc...
18' Doolittle enclosed trailer
monster 18hp truck loader
yanmar vio40 excavator
Old 07-19-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors_Unlimited View Post
Slow payers buh-bye.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know it's irritating. I do. But as long as they pay I just don't get why so many of us kick slow-payers to the curb when times are good. Most of our customers pay within the first few days...I've got no problem waiting a few weeks for the slow ones to come through.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
I know it's irritating. I do. But as long as they pay I just don't get why so many of us kick slow-payers to the curb when times are good. Most of our customers pay within the first few days...I've got no problem waiting a few weeks for the slow ones to come through.
i agree....on a case by case basis though. I had a lady last year who owed me a bunch for several months. she would give me a hundred or so here and there but it was still adding up. normally i would suspend service but she had recently been laid off and was prompt with payment the year before so i was pretty confident i'd get my money eventually. if the majority of customers pay promptly a couple slow paying accounts shouldn't break you. as long as i feel like i'll get paid down the road and i have plenty of other revenue coming in i try to look at it as money in the bank. but if its a new customer and they pay slow from the beginning i'm not likely to extend them any credit
(2) 2012 bobcat 48'' classic pro wb's
stihl br 600 backpacks
husky saws, trimmers, etc...
18' Doolittle enclosed trailer
monster 18hp truck loader
yanmar vio40 excavator
Old 08-03-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
I dump them, because they weren't the wait a couple weeks type. More like wait a few months. All new clients get service suspended after 30 days of a delinquent account.......then I have to play catch up getting their lawn back in shape from the week or so they were suspended.