Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I may go back to being solo.

Hey guys,
I've been burned so bad over the years by employees that I may just go back to being solo. I've ran the numbers, and by the looks of it, I should make the same amount of money each month anyway. I just can't find good help anymore. It's scared me to grow without having that go to man. Seems like everytime I get going good an employee leaves or I have to let them go. Then I'm stuck trying to manage all the accounts and the quality goes down. If I shed the bi-weekly accounts and keep the best year around weekly accounts, I can manage those myself and keep the quality high and customers happy. It feels weird to go the other way( down size) but it may just be the best bet for the company for a while.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm solo.
I'd love to expand, but I think one smelly guy in my truck is about as much as I can take.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What are the reasons your employees have given for leaving?
Old 06-30-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I understand... It has been HOT and DRY here. Employees are only lasting about a week. I ran the numbers and I am considering it as well. The only issue is, I want to be a business owner and not a mower jockey.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the long timers in my area are SOLO, including me. I "think" you can make more money and have a more satisfying career being SOLO. I know on paper you can make more money running a crew but real life isn't paper.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I may go back to being solo.

I'm with Oaknut!
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't blame ya for going back to solo. I have 7 employees and it's tough real tough to make it work. I think I could make almost as much profit by myself just mowing, maybe I'm wrong. But a solo guy can make $300- $500+ a day by your self, Doesn't sound bad to me when I'm writing payroll every weekend. Employees will help you grow and increase your net worth and assets etc but it's hard to work it at times. Deffinately got to make systems and stay on top of it all the time. Going back to solo with maybe a helper might be something i will lean too down the road when I reach some finanancial goals and a better life for my family etc. Good luck to ya. The only right answer is what's best for you.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
I'm with Oaknut!

Not smelling like THAT you're not.

Go take a bath!

Old 06-30-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Agree

I have been in business since 1998. Grew from solo to 9 employees and over a $500K with in 4 years. What a pain in the a**. Went down to half the sales with less employees and made the same amount for myself. Now I am 53 years and have 2 employees this year. We have down sized because of the economy and other things. I still wished I didn't have employees, but the older you get the harder it is to get up and do it yourself (Even though it seems I do). Lucky I am in great health, but I am a Realist, and it is getting tougher. I have actually thought about trying to find something else, but no on wants to hire a 53 year old, balding man and pay him a lot of money.

Employees are a pain and I have had great ones and bad ones. All you can do is just keeping moving forward.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys, I think of it as "consolidating" because I have a certain market I cater to and have a handful that don't fit in. I'm just tired of people leaving me stranded, I'm tired of relying on someone else to make my money. Right now, I think it's the best thing for me. Not all people are cut out to run a "big " business and I didn't enjoy it as much as when I was working by myself. Employees kinda get on my nerves anyways. I guess I never found the right guys. I always was easy going and paid well, they would just be gone one day. Some would end up in jail, some couldn't handle the heat. Some saw me as competition, and had a chip on their shoulders etc. I can always get more accounts because I live in a good market area, I'm going to scale back a little and see how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device