Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gravely 472 Demo

I am posting a few pictures, but must leave shortly for church, have got some side by side cut pictures with the VX4. The grass is a wet mess, and it is pouring rain as I type, it was just said on our local news this is the most rain we've had since 1938, 75 yrs ago.

I check the speed of both mowers because speed can vary a little with humidity and temperature.

Gravely 472 / 12.1 mph

Hustler Super Z 72" / 13.9 mph

Someone that has time, if you would please post the weights and dimensions of both mowers to save me some time, I would appreciate it.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I am posting a few pictures, but must leave shortly for church, have got some side by side cut pictures with the VX4. The grass is a wet mess, and it is pouring rain as I type, it was just said on our local news this is the most rain we've had since 1938, 75 yrs ago.

I check the speed of both mowers because speed can vary a little with humidity and temperature.

Gravely 472 / 12.1 mph

Hustler Super Z 72" / 13.9 mph

Someone that has time, if you would please post the weights and dimensions of both mowers to save me some time, I would appreciate it.
More pictures...and I will say one thing before I must leave, the Kawasaki FX921V which is a true 31 hp is much stronger that I would have believed. The Gravely deck (I realize everything is new and slick), and the 31 Kawasaki felt as strong as my 35 from the amount of time I've run it so far.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That engine is an animal for sure. Same one I had on my 460. Shut it down at 3/4 throttle and start it at half throttle is where I had the best luck trying to keep it from backfiring. Nothing seemed to help the startup smoke to much. You will quickly see how much fuel it likes to drink. But it wont slow down no matter what you throw at it (at least it was like that on the 60" version).
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-10-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thats a sweet looking machine!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This are cut pictures with the 472, the ones running long ways with the chicken houses were with the mower cutting at full speed. The ones behind the chicken houses are cut at a very slow speed. The grass behind this chicken house is volunteer Bermuda grass, it is unbelievably healthy and thick, this is from the dust coming out through the fans being loaded with nitrogen, plus all the rain we've had.

I have no idea of how this Gravely deck is set up, but it's about as even a comparison as one could expect due to the fact the VX4 deck has never been touched since delivery either.

You can see if looking hard in the pictures running beside the chicken house, this is where the mower was at full speed and there is grass standing back up in what appears to be where the wheels were running. This is a much easier grass to cut than the thick Bermuda behind the house.

When you look at the back of the chicken house, you can see big clumps that was discharged by the X-Factor deck, and you will also see which is much more prominent where the deck was unable to pull the thick Bermuda up enough to be cut cleanly, this is where the wheels had packed it down. I think this can probably be eliminated if changing the front baffle to bring about more suction. I was a little surprised to see the large clumps, along with the missed cutting of grass.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

These are pictures of where I put the 72" VX4 deck side by side with the cut of the X-factor. The blades on the Hustler deck has 61 hrs of cut time with no sharpening, which I honestly find it hard to believe they can do anymore than chew the grass off, and I can definitely tell they are becoming dull. I am pushing them to the limit to see how far they will go before I look at the last pass and see it needs to be re-cut.

You will notice, not every blade can be perfectly cut due to the number of hrs. on the blades with no sharpening, but you will also see there is no pattern as to grass not being completely cut, no standing grass left in the wheel tracks. You can really see the difference in one of the pictures in the Bermuda, you can see where the new deck with perfectly sharp new blades did not get all the grass picked up and cut, whereas the VX4 did a much better job.

The first cut picture is the next pass over directly beside the X-Factor deck, if you will look to the right you can see the grass standing up and left uncut. I was trying to run at the same speed of the Gravely when making this cut, I was not nearly at full speed, which I think gives a better comparison in cut. I could cut the same strip at full Super Z speed, and you may see a blade here and there not cut due to the dull blades, but there would be no pattern.

The second cut picture I moved the Hustler back into the cut pass of the Gravely so as to have a better background against the yellow mower, which enables one to see the pattern of uncut grass somewhat better.

The third cut picture is the next pass beside the Gravely with the VX4 in the heavy thick Bermuda, and as you can see the VX4 left no pattern of uncut grass.

The fourth cut picture is allowing it to be seen the VX4 spread the cut grass much more uniformly than did the X-Factor, of which I was somewhat confused at seeing the large clumps coming out of the Gravely's discharge opening.

The fifth cut picture on the right side (even with everyone seeing it is evident) is where the VX4 cut the next pass beside the X-Factor. You can see to the left there is a pattern of uncut grass which appears to have been in the wheel tracks of the Gravely, yet with 61 hr. blades on the VX4, you really see very little uncut grass, and definitely no pattern.

The sixth cut picture is allowing a visual of how good the discharge pattern of the VX4 deck truly is.

I will get a picture of the discharge pattern on the Gravely hopefully tomorrow.

This may be a case of where the 72" VX4 is a better cutting deck than the 60" VX4, and in reverse, the 72" X-Factor deck may cut worse than the 60" X-Factor.

I will really put it through its paces tomorrow, and to tell you how good my dealer is, when he delivered the mower, both tanks had been completely filled with gas.

I will say one thing I could immediately see with the Gravely, you will be much cleaner while operating it, than you will be with the Hustler. I've got to look at some things, it appears you are a little higher in profile on the Gravely than the Super Z.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta get to bed, but those blades on the Gravely don't look to be nearly as "high lift" as those I've seen on the 60" Gravelys.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 07-10-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the pics and a great review so far.

I will be 100% honest here. Both machines appear to cut like complete crap in that grass. Then again it looks like the grass is so tall its going to seed. The clean up needed to remove the carpet and clumps of clippings would be crazy to make that look like a lawn. That is what preservation properties look like here on foreclosed homes. If I ever left a property like that would be out of business!! Guess If I had to pick which crappy cut looks better the Hustler has the edge in bush whacking.

I look forward to some pics of some lawn mowing and ride comparisons.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribed!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That is some deep thick going to seed stuff you are cutting there. For the heck of it try setting the baffles all the way down or even try it with the baffles completely removed. On my older XF1 deck I used to get a little grass matting in the tire tracks in certain conditions but I havent noticed that with the new deck and baffles down about 1". Also do a quick check on the idler spring to make sure the tension is set right and double check the rpms. My 31hp sounded like it was screaming. It sounded like it was running at a higher rpm than my 29 kohler does. Cutting stuff that deep and thick i would think what ever mower had the widest discharge opening would probably cut best. It needs to get the heck out of the deck in a hurry.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)