Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Do you soak you trimmer line before using it?
Yes, I soak my line, and it helps. 13 28.26%
No, it doesn't matter. 29 63.04%
Yes, but just because it makes me sound cool that I do, and don't know if it helps. 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 PM
monoshock's Avatar
monoshock monoshock is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lake City TN. is that banjos I here?
Posts: 789
Question Do you soak your trimmer line in water before using it?

Do you soak your trimmer line in water before using it?
__________________
Tim

Last edited by monoshock; 07-16-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-16-2013, 12:47 PM
zo6 zo6 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: GREAT MEADOWS NJ
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoshock View Post
Do you soak your trimmer line in water before using it?
i think it helps, doesnt fray as much
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM
monoshock's Avatar
monoshock monoshock is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lake City TN. is that banjos I here?
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by zo6 View Post
i think it helps, doesnt fray as much
I remember a guy I use to work with that always said it helped, but that was over 15 years ago.
Don't forget to vote.
__________________
Tim
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-16-2013, 12:53 PM
zo6 zo6 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: GREAT MEADOWS NJ
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoshock View Post
I remember a guy I use to work with that always said it helped, but that was over 15 years ago.
Don't forget to vote.
i think it does, not sure how much line it actually saves you though... I always vote, just not for the dirtbag that won...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-16-2013, 12:59 PM
monoshock's Avatar
monoshock monoshock is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lake City TN. is that banjos I here?
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by zo6 View Post
i think it does, not sure how much line it actually saves you though... I always vote, just not for the dirtbag that won...
Maybe Rand Paul next time around.
__________________
Tim
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Hawkshot99 Hawkshot99 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 689
How do you do this? Do you keep a bucket of water in the trailer, or soak the new spool when you buy it, then it holds moisture?
__________________
Exmark Viking 48"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-16-2013, 01:09 PM
monoshock's Avatar
monoshock monoshock is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lake City TN. is that banjos I here?
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
How do you do this? Do you keep a bucket of water in the trailer, or soak the new spool when you buy it, then it holds moisture?
I'm not sure, I'm going to just drop it in a 5 gal bucket for a day or two and see what happens.
__________________
Tim
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,677
I've been doing it for a long time now. I soak a 3 or 5lb spool of line twice a year for a full 24 hours in a 3 gallon bucket of water. You can definitely see and feel the difference in the way it moves/bends/twists etc and notice the difference in the way it feels to the touch.

It makes the line last longer because it doesn't break or fray near as quickly and it makes it easier to re-spool. Plus it seems to feed easier too. It really helps if you edge or trim a lot of chainlink with your trimmer.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-16-2013, 02:21 PM
WilsonBoud's Avatar
WilsonBoud WilsonBoud is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 175
I first read of this issue for the first time here on LawnSite some three months ago. I mentioned it to my Cheetah dealer, and my Stihl dealer. They both concur with the process. So I'm trying it.

BUT, do I soak the line for 24 hours before using, or do I just drop the contents of the line in water and forget about it until I need another twenty foot piece to re-spool the trimmer.

I used some unknown string (from Lowe's) for several years. I though it was a good idea buying a five pound package of this stuff. I quickly discovered the poor quality when I found my self bumping the trimmer "every few feet" (I trim 1450 feet every time I cut grass, no roundup).

Well, I finally used up all that awful string (five pounds of it), and am using my first spool of Maruyama M FORCE EDGE premium string. I find myself bumping the trimmer head far less often (that's a good thing right...???).

I discovered this Maruyama string while searching & reading this site about the ultimate string. So, I went out and purchased a half-pound package. I also have a one-pound package of Oregon Magnum Gator line (super twist) waiting to be used.

I have thought about using the two lines intermittenly throughout the summer until the M Force line is used up. That would give my quick info about which one is serving me best.

Any thoughts on this matter ...???


__________________
Wilson Boudreaux
from Cajun Country


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBoud View Post
I first read of this issue for the first time here on LawnSite some three months ago. I mentioned it to my Cheetah dealer, and my Stihl dealer. They both concur with the process. So I'm trying it.

BUT, do I soak the line for 24 hours before using, or do I just drop the contents of the line in water and forget about it until I need another twenty foot piece to re-spool the trimmer.

I used some unknown string (from Lowe's) for several years. I though it was a good idea buying a five pound package of this stuff. I quickly discovered the poor quality when I found my self bumping the trimmer "every few feet" (I trim 1450 feet every time I cut grass, no roundup).

Well, I finally used up all that awful string (five pounds of it), and am using my first spool of Maruyama M FORCE EDGE premium string. I find myself bumping the trimmer head far less often (that's a good thing right...???).

I discovered this Maruyama string while searching & reading this site about the ultimate string. So, I went out and purchased a half-pound package. I also have a one-pound package of Oregon Magnum Gator line (super twist) waiting to be used.

I have thought about using the two lines intermittenly throughout the summer until the M Force line is used up. That would give my quick info about which one is serving me best.

Any thoughts on this matter ...???


There's nothing wrong with leaving your line in the water other than the inconvenience of having to pull it out each time you re-spool. I just soak twice a year and it stays nice and pliable.

Do you mean you have the Gator Magnum Twist or the Gator Platinum Super Twist? There is a difference. GM twist is grey, Platinum ST is blue with a white core.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 AM.

Page generated in 0.09236 seconds with 8 queries