Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ride on spreader/sprayer question

I'm looking at expanding my business next year and focusing it more on fert / weed control. I have thought about a skid sprayer, but I like the ability to spread and spray at the same time. I use granular products for pre and fert by the way.

My question is this, which ride on do you guys really recommend? I like the ground logic, but I would have to drive 3 hours to pick it up. The permagreen is only an hour away, but I'm unsure on its quality. Just trying to here some opinions on which may be the better machine.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

why spread for pre-m? 10,000 times cheaper to spray and you can spray out of your ride on pre-m. I have a permagreen and enjoy it. but never owned anything else. good luck with your decision. and spray pre not spread!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
why spread for pre-m? 10,000 times cheaper to spray and you can spray out of your ride on pre-m. I have a permagreen and enjoy it. but never owned anything else. good luck with your decision. and spray pre not spread!
I guess I'm not opposed to spraying pre, it's just something I know nothing about. I have just always put down granular pre like 15-0-5 with .21 dimension. I'm fairly new at this so I don't know all the tricks to the trade. The two other companies in my town both use skid sprayers and lesco push spreaders. I was thinking I could just save time by doing both at once.

While I'm on this subject, I will be treating mainly Bermuda. A few fescue and zoysia, but I know what I'm doing with fescue for the most part. Bermuda is a new game for me.

Last edited by CurbAppealKS; 07-16-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

def. spray pre. just like spraying post out of your ride on and YES saves you time. in my opinion bermuda is easier then any other grass there is down south to work with.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
def. spray pre. just like spraying post out of your ride on and YES saves you time. in my opinion bermuda is easier then any other grass there is down south to work with.
Ok, there are a million different pre products to choose from. What should I and what shouldn't I put down in your guys' opinions.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am in the camp of NOT spraying pre out of a ride on. Too low volume for me to be comfortable doing that. Spraying pre would not save you any time for 1st app of the season. You have to mix the stuff to label, that takes time. If you spread fert and pre you just dump and go.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 07-17-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

DA is right. Northern guys think more clearly, LOL!
Spread your pre-emergent, that is ...IF...you are going to apply fertilizer, too. If you are working with Bermuda...it may be too early for fert--in that case, apply your pre as a spray.

Prodiamine is a good bet.
My Permagreen served me well.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 07-17-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added
Old 07-17-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
DA is right. Northern guys think more clearly, LOL!
Spread your pre-emergent, that is ...IF...you are going to apply fertilizer, too. If you are working with Bermuda...it may be too early for fert--in that case, apply your pre as a spray.

Prodiamine is a good bet.
My Permagreen served me well.
See that's the way I have always done it. I bought a business thirty miles to the west of where I worked for 5 years and the difference in turf is astounding. Vast majority is Bermuda. So my school of thought will have to change. I understand that spraying fert on Bermuda allows for quick green up. The thing I worry about is not being able to put down enough carrier with a ride on. That is what is pushing me towards granular fert. In Kansas, we don't see Bermuda start to green until mid may unless it's a hot season like we had last year. Another thing I have to deal with is very few customers have irrigation here. So I couldn't rely on them to water chemical in immediately to avoid burn. It's definitely a dilemma. I know that I could spread pre and be fine, but like you said riggle I'll be wasting fert. Unless there is a granular that is pre only?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Liquid in my view is a better bet for all pre-m. Granular cant provide coverage along the edges like liquid can. even with the guard down. As you may know the edges and curb strips and thin areas are where it crabgrass comes up first. I provide two treatments of control first liquid Barracade and then as temps warm I switch to liquid Dimension. Never have crabgrass issues. For customers that sign up late I use dismiss and some other goodies.
Stihl FS70 Trimmer
Echo Blower
Echo Shears
Commercial Spreader
Old 07-17-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyuser View Post
Liquid in my view is a better bet for all pre-m. Granular cant provide coverage along the edges like liquid can. even with the guard down. As you may know the edges and curb strips and thin areas are where it crabgrass comes up first. I provide two treatments of control first liquid Barracade and then as temps warm I switch to liquid Dimension. Never have crabgrass issues. For customers that sign up late I use dismiss and some other goodies.
What do you apply liquid with?