Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ferris 3100 61" 36 BB review

Hey guys, just starting a new thread based on the new Ferris 3100 I bought. Used it today for a couple hours & very happy so far.

The suspension kind of speaks for itself, 4 wheel independent, doesn't get much better. The only thing to mention is the spring under the seat platform is there for the kill switch I believe, if you hit a rut this spring will bottom out & degrade a little from the soft ride. So I will give that some attention eventually, maybe a firmer spring, however Im planning on adding a susp seat in near future so might wait and see how it goes after that. Absolutely no un-even cutting.

The 36 BB has plenty of power, doubt I will ever be looking for more but will find out come summer time. I like the responsiveness when you throttle up, noticeably smoother than the FX850.(can only compare to my previous machine) But once at full throttle where its always used anyhow, this doesn't play a part. If your reading GMLC, I took note today of vibration in the steering levers, there is certainly some vibration there but none in the foot pan or seat that I can notice.

The trimming ability appears to be very good, relatively short wheel base & the trim side is out far enough to get me closer into corners then I could previously on the X1.

The stops needed adjusting as PuppyPaws has mentioned numerously before, I used my GPS to check speed & was able to cut at 12mph, but took a while to build up to this speed. (this could be the GPS taking its time more so than the Ferris) on the road it was going 13mph, but my GPS doesn't have 0.5 increments. By the way I was able to cut at 12mph over a rutted property that previously if I tried that Id flip a non-suspended mower over from the bouncing. Although the suspension allows cutting at 12mph over large ruts, I would cut them slower to give a better cut, the deck wont ride too level at this speed over bumps.

The iCD appears to cut very well, no stragglers left behind. But need a couple months for some spring growth to see how the deck is cutting, looking forward to that!

Probably other things to add but my brains a little slow for anything more. If anyone has any questions about the 3100, Ill do my best to answer
Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Good to here you are enjoying the "ride". I think the suspension seat would be a good feature too.
probably to early to tell, but any idea on fuel usage yet?
Old 07-18-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growin Green View Post
Good to here you are enjoying the "ride". I think the suspension seat would be a good feature too.
probably to early to tell, but any idea on fuel usage yet?
Yea too early unfortunately. I will endeavour to get some fuel usage calc to put on here soon. But I believe the first 100hrs the engine can be a little more thirsty, however we will see.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Yea too early unfortunately. I will endeavour to get some fuel usage calc to put on here soon. But I believe the first 100hrs the engine can be a little more thirsty, however we will see.
The 72" 3100 with the 32 BB I used to run would use around 2 gallons an hour. I'm sure you can expect about the same with a smaller deck, but bigger motor.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Normal cutting my 3100 72" 36hp BB drinks about 1.8-2 gph, Tall cuts its a little thirsty used 5.5 gal in 2 hr 20 min the other day but about 3 acres were 10"+ tall grass in the mix. Most of the time its around 4 gal or less for the same mowing. I think mine has around 30hrs on the clock now.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm so jealous!

How much extra will the suspension seat set you back now vs if you had bought it as part of your original purchase? I'm looking forwards to hearing, and hopefully seeing some video of how it goes come mowing season for ya!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought my suspension seat new off of ebay last year for $125 I think they were around $169 at the dealer at the time. I don't know what the going rate on them now is. I am not sure if its really needed on the 3100 unless you really have some rough stuff. Stock the 3100 rides better than the 2000 w/suspension seat. I took off mine when I traded and installed on the 3100.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I'm so jealous!

How much extra will the suspension seat set you back now vs if you had bought it as part of your original purchase? I'm looking forwards to hearing, and hopefully seeing some video of how it goes come mowing season for ya!
Well the dealer wanted over $1000 for the michigan susp seat, looks like on ebay buying from US Id be looking at $680 roughly. But I want to look into the puffer air seat, or one of those susp inserts like others have used.

Id like to get some video to compare the X1 with Ferris while I still have the X1, its just logistically difficult, my trailer is only big enough for 1 mower at a time & its about 20min drive each way, so that's 1.5hrs driving. Also dont want to annoy the client, but if I can I will, I haven't seen any youtube videos to show this kind of comparison before.

But with regard to video of clipping dispersal etc, that will be no problem at all, I will take plenty of that once we start getting some spring growth. Need some warm nights, which will be 6 weeks from now maybe a little more.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
The suspension kind of speaks for itself, 4 wheel independent, doesn't get much better. The only thing to mention is the spring under the seat platform is there for the kill switch I believe, if you hit a rut this spring will bottom out & degrade a little from the soft ride. So I will give that some attention eventually, maybe a firmer spring, however Im planning on adding a susp seat in near future so might wait and see how it goes after that. Absolutely no un-even cutting.
The spring should already be bottomed out with you sitting on the machine. Just curious how much do you weigh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skew View Post
I bought my suspension seat new off of ebay last year for $125 I think they were around $169 at the dealer at the time. I don't know what the going rate on them now is. I am not sure if its really needed on the 3100 unless you really have some rough stuff. Stock the 3100 rides better than the 2000 w/suspension seat. I took off mine when I traded and installed on the 3100.
That was most likely for the "spring platform". There is also a whole suspension seat available but that is more like $470.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am curious how the motor compares on fuel and power compared to the old 850, I can get a BB Briggs shipped to my door new for 1700. I am either going to buy a Generac 33 or a 36 BB so your feelings on your new motor are welcome.