Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Time to get some work ethic !!!!

My wife and I are schooling our youngster in the family business. He's almost 11 and has been helping us out this year and is really coming along. He got his own Echo backback at the beginning of the year and just this week I picked up an Echo srm225 for him . The trimmer was too long so I took it apart cut the tube and shaft down to fit him and installed an edgit or what we call the Chinese head so that it's like his mom's trimmer.

It's funny seeing him change from a video game playing / book nerd to a confident young man. It has toughened him up some which he needed. I love the talks we share from job to job and I always remind him that he can be anything that he sets his heart to. We are doing our part to raise a hard working well rounded human being.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

congratulations! However, looks like a backpack blower might blow him away! My dad had a full time job and basically another full time job as a owner of a electrical/hvac company. He started dragging my butt out when I was 11. I hated it soooo much at the time. But man, it's priceless being able to work on your own stuff and not have to pay someone else do to it!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well done!! These investments in your son will pay handsome dividends later.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Well done!! These investments in your son will pay handsome dividends later.
Yep!! You wont have a child you have to take care of for the rest of your life. But you will have a child that is more than able to help you when you need it. I started working around the farm at 5 years old or so. Also hated it at the time but I'm glad my parents raised me to work.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I concur. You're doing it right. I have my 12 YO son helping me a 2 hrs/day 3-4 days each week and he makes me proud every day. Like your son, when he's not helping me he's playing video games or swimming with his friends....and that's alright, that's what kids are supposed to do. A LITTLE work is good for everyone!

Nice job on the ear and eye protection. I won't let my son work w/o them.

Again, job well done.

p.s. I'm betting your son got his handsome good looks from his mother?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

That's awesome! My grandfather started taking me around to his lawns when i was 10 or so. Now i'm 17 and have my own business, and I definitely attribute it to starting so early working with him.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
. We are doing our part to raise a hard working well rounded human being.
why on earth do you want to do that I'm trying to raise my kids to be rich slackers that will look after their parents
Old 07-19-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure what the regulations are now but there was a time when the IRS allowed parents to pay their children for working in the business. Earnings limit was $3000 per year through age 18. No taxes for the child and no payroll taxes for the parent. Win-win all the way around.

Might be best to check with your accountant first to see what the current laws are.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words guys!!!! I grew up with the worlds best grandparents which lived right next to me . My grandfather took me everywhere and let me help do EVERYTHING with him. He made he a well rounded individual and I love him dearly. I just want to pass it on to my boy.

His payment for helping is a snowball and some dinner. I tell him thats part of being my kid .He's my personal slave until he's 18

Trust me this boy is spoiled rotten !!!!! I mean really how many 10 yr old's you know that have a new backpack blower and string trimmer
Old 07-20-2013, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Before we started the LC we had to carry morning paper routes. We had those routes for eight years and both our kids were out with us everyday. They both grew up with a tremendous work ethic that has served them well.

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON