Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

2003 GMC 3500 Dump Value & Questions

I have been shopping around for a back up truck and I came across one I am interested in. Is there anyplace to go to see what the suggested retail of this truck should be? When I went to Kelly Blue Book I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. Is there a site to go to for commercial truck values?

The truck is very clean. It's got the 6.0, automatic, AC, 73K miles. Looks to be about a 9 foot bed. The truck still has the plow frame / wiring which works out well since I have a plow for it already. The bed / truck are in great shape. Looks like the frame might have been painted with POR-15. The shop says the truck doesn't need anything. They recently replaced the flex plate (I believe they said). They are looking for $13K Does it sound about where it should be?

Any known issues with this year / model to look out for?

My next question is in regards to the trailer I would be pulling with it. It's an enclosed 7 X 14 Haulmark. Unfortunately it does not have an extended tongue. I am very good at backing the trailer in to all my driveways and never turn too tight. Do you think it will be an issue with the wider body of a mason dump (I'm currently using an F250 pickup)? My current hitch extends past the pickup body by a couple of inches. The mason dumps hitch appears to not extend out as far as the bed. Think this may be an issue? I'm the only one who currently does the driving.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the 6.0 wont let you down, except at the gas station. Other than that it is really a beast of a motor. I have a 6.0 in a 2500 chevy I use everyday even though im a ford guy, I admit it is a great motor
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't think you can go wrong with that truck and price. One thing to keep in mind when your dumping on those trucks sometimes the tailgate gets stuck behind the hitch when you got the body up.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I've seen that many times dually (never done it myself when using others mason dumps). It seems like every other truck riding around has the center of their tailgate crunched.