Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Help identifying this grass

Here's a couple pictures of it. I'm having trouble killing the light green grass off. Not sure what it is and what to put down to kill it. I am already putting down a crab grass preventer, 2 weed and feeds, and a winterizer every year. Tried spot spraying this with weedbgone but didn't have any luck.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yellow Nut sedge....
sedge hammer works great
or go to the big box store and they have a spray bottle of nutsedge killer ... works great!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Awesome thanks! That was pretty painless, I'll pick up some of the herbicide. Out of curiosity though what is a sedge hammer or was that a misspelled sledge and you were making a joke?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sedge hammer is a chemical that will kill it too but it cost a little more. Just get the stuff at the big bkx store its in a green bottle. Dont pull the grass out it will break and multiply....
Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
Sedge hammer is a chemical that will kill it too but it cost a little more. Just get the stuff at the big bkx store its in a green bottle. Dont pull the grass out it will break and multiply....
Already pulled some out, I won't do that any more. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGenay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
Already pulled some out, I won't do that any more. Thanks for the help.
Theres nuts on the bottom and most break off and grow if pulled even though it looks like it all came out it didnt
Old 08-27-2013, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This time of the year spray Sulfentrazone (dismiss), Sedgehammer will promote tillering while dieing late in the season. You can also tank mix sedgehammer and dismiss. Might cause yellow on turf stand but ultimate is to control spread of nutsedge.

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Can be weeded. They come up easy. Pulling them does not cause them to multiply. Nutsedge sends out a large rhizome/root network that will send up new plants.

Just keep picking and eventually the rhizome's energy stores will be depleted and will not be able to grow new shoots, so the root system then dies off.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Can be weeded. They come up easy. Pulling them does not cause them to multiply. Nutsedge sends out a large rhizome/root network that will send up new plants.

Just keep picking and eventually the rhizome's energy stores will be depleted and will not be able to grow new shoots, so the root system then dies off.
Can not stop it by pulling, or digging em up. And it will be back next year even with chemical spraying. At least that is how nut grass works in our area.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen a ton of it this year in Indiana. I have customers that have it. I really don't mind it gives me something to cut in this dry spell.