Register free!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Rodale Institute study

Preliminary results are in comparing Activated Aervated Compost Tea and conventional fertilizer.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maria-...b_3648932.html

Do not expect to get the same results unless you really know how to brew AACT for turf. Under the direction of Elaine Ingham, Rodale has greatly improved how they make compost. James Sotillo has been brewing high quality AACT for a decade. All compost and all AACT are not created equal.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-01-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I read it because I respect your posts and am interested in incorporating some organic practices into overall care for turf. That side, however, would do well to find a more objective less alarmist spokesperson IMHO.

The results look promising and she is skilled at brewing compost tea. Three applications of anything in a month is silly. And, what do we know about thatch formation in the span of 30 days? Not much.

I remain interested.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
I read it because I respect your posts and am interested in incorporating some organic practices into overall care for turf. That side, however, would do well to find a more objective less alarmist spokesperson IMHO.

The results look promising and she is skilled at brewing compost tea. Three applications of anything in a month is silly. And, what do we know about thatch formation in the span of 30 days? Not much.

I remain interested.
I have to agree less that alarm-ism is a better approach. I also believe that there does need to be more concern about the amount of pesticides routinely used in the landscape & in agriculture. We need to find more sustainable ways to maintain turf & grow crops.

3 applications of tea in a month does seem like a strange protocol, but I don't know what the follow up will be. Maybe nothing for months. I'll see what I can find out.

In my experience, thatch is never a problem with an organic program as the microbes keep in in check by feeding on it. And on many sites, aeration is no longer required due to a healthy and active soil food web improving the soil structure.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"... • In the beds treated with compost tea, root length was an average of two to four times longer than in the beds treated with chemical fertilizer, making those areas more resistant to drought and other environmental stresses. ..."

One thing that is happening here is that the soil structure, with OM,, is increasing INTO deeper depths of the soil profile allowing water soluable nutrients/microbial life to perculate AND have air, allowing roots to grow deeper...
That is exactly the OPPOSITE of living thatch formation found on over-fertilized and over-watered turf...
Old 08-02-2013, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nicely said, Barry. You are a gentleman.

We were told aeration would be a thing of the past with sand construction and topdressing too. Turns out the little critters need and like to be stirred up
Old 08-02-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have to agree less that alarm-ism is a better approach
I meant to say I have to agree that less alarm-ism is a better approach

Franklin D. Roosevelt