Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-03-2013, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

New to me Skid

I bought a new skid steer to add to our LS160 tire machine that I bought in 2002. The LS160 has been a good machine so I went with a New Holland track machine C185.
Photo:
Name:  DSCN0462 (Medium).jpg
Views: 627
Size:  69.4 KB

I have used the machine on the last project we did and I am very impressed. Coming from a tire machine to this is a huge jump. The machine has 2 speed, air, hi flow, hydro quick attach, radio, all things we lived with out for the last 10 years.

I realize that most buy other brands in other parts of the country but here we have a very good New Holland dealer so New Holland is it. The brand doesn't matter to me as much as the local service.

Just thought I would share. Pretty excited about owning this level of skid steer.

The only problem I have now is my skid trailer is not wide enough so I have to purchase a deck over tailer if I want to move it with a truck other than the dump truck like a pick up truck.

Last edited by jmacd; 08-03-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Very nice machine. I'm a big fan of new holland.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Our local sod distributer has 4 new Hollands that load people with all day. I really enjoy them. Our service sucks here so I stick with JD. To me service is more important then the machine cuss they all gunna break
Old 08-03-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont get me wrong new hollands are good machines ( i own 3) but i previously owned a c185 (2006) and it was nothing but problems. I was constantly going through idlers, and went through 2 drive motors within 700 hours. The machine was just out of warranty and i ended up paying around 6k each plus my guys labour to install them. And at the time when the last drive motor went i got the very last one in the world. They where on quite a back order at the time. There was a common problem where a seal goes out in the back of the drive motor . Make sure you check the oil level in the drives every couple hundred hours , and really really clean around the drive (ecspecially behind it where the dirt hides and is very hard to get) Besides that it was a great machine when it ran. I now have a 2009 c175 with only a 150 hours on it which i am very happy with and havent had a single issue. How many hours are on your unit?

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 08-03-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
Dont get me wrong new hollands are good machines ( i own 3) but i previously owned a c185 (2006) and it was nothing but problems. I was constantly going through idlers, and went through 2 drive motors within 700 hours. The machine was just out of warranty and i ended up paying around 6k each plus my guys labour to install them. And at the time when the last drive motor went i got the very last one in the world. They where on quite a back order at the time. There was a common problem where a seal goes out in the back of the drive motor . Make sure you check the oil level in the drives every couple hundred hours , and really really clean around the drive (ecspecially behind it where the dirt hides and is very hard to get) Besides that it was a great machine when it ran. I now have a 2009 c175 with only a 150 hours on it which i am very happy with and havent had a single issue. How many hours are on your unit?
This machine is 2009 with just 1000 hrs on it. Sure hope we dont have the same problems you had. Like I said the dealer is good and I know he will stand behind the machine for a while for any big issues.
I payed a little more than shopping country wide for the best price because he will fix it for a while.

Thanks for the positive comments appreciate them.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No problem! Now we need some pictures of her at work!

Cheers
Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacd View Post

The only problem I have now is my skid trailer is not wide enough so I have to purchase a deck over tailer if I want to move it with a truck other than the dump truck like a pick up truck.
I think a Pequea trailer or similar might work. They extend their fenders out from the main frame - 84" of room between fenders, if I remember correctly. I so dislike loading my deckover with heavy skids.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It will fit on a Kaufman trailer.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Agree Kaufman would a good choice, under $5000 for a trailer that would work.
I have this one for sale, to big for a pick up truck and to small for a tri-axle with 20 tons on it. A 5500, 4500, single axle dump etc. size truck would work nicely with this trailer. I want $3500 for a 12ton trailer with electric.

Name:  DSCN0474 (Small).JPG
Views: 191
Size:  56.3 KB
Old 08-10-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Kaufman tilt with the fixed deck is nice. Easy on and off for you and the machine and plenty of deck for the attachments.