Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Who owns the new Scag WB?

If you own the new Scag floating deck hydro SWZT, please do a review. I'm considering adding a new hydro WB and would love to hear some opinions from people who own and operate these things. I currently run and really like the Exmark ECS hydro WB's but the new ones are so damn expensive that I'm thinking of making my next hydro the new Scag. Plus, I love my Turf Tigers... so I really trust Scag.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have not heard much, but so far I have heard fairly good things.

I do not know, I rather spend more on a floating deck hydro Exmark, Toro, or Gravely, they just seem like a better built mower to me. I love Scag's Zero Turns and fixed deck walk behinds, but the new SWZT just looks a little cheap. A lack of a 52 or 60 inch deck option also disappoints me. I also await to see the new Bobcat Floating Deck Hydro.

That said, if Scag were to bring bring back the SWZU, I would be all over it. A friend of mine has one and it is a tank.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church2224 View Post

That said, if Scag were to bring bring back the SWZU, I would be all over it. A friend of mine has one and it is a tank.
This new unit is as close as you will ever get to the good old units....and this is just a price point and they compare to snapper pro now in price and durability.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
This new unit is as close as you will ever get to the good old units....and this is just a price point and they compare to snapper pro now in price and durability.
That is a good point, plus I would take the Scag over the Snapper in terms of durability.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church2224 View Post
That is a good point, plus I would take the Scag over the Snapper in terms of durability.
Have You owned a snapper pro???
Old 08-09-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Apparently in our neck of the woods only the distributor(PACE) has their guy driving them around for dealers to look at. No demos so far. We would like to demo one eventually. But we will not buy a 1st year production model. To many kinks to work out with 1st year models.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The snapper pro WB is a full commercial unit. Its built way better than the new Scag WB, which is on the same level as the scag freedom z. High end home owner, entry level commercial.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
The snapper pro WB is a full commercial unit. Its built way better than the new Scag WB, which is on the same level as the scag freedom z. High end home owner, entry level commercial.
Exactly asides from the price I don't know how you compare the two, and I know the snapper is a much better value.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
GMLC, I respect your opinion but I think you're off on this one. If you compare the Scag swzt to other 48" WB's, it's pretty much right in line. The Turf Tracer outweighs it by about 15 lbs. and the Scag is actually faster. Would you consider the Turf Tracer high end home owner? The Scag is running the same damn Kawi's that you find on every other WB. I suspect that the reason for the home owner remark is that it carries a freedom deck and the lack of anti-scalp wheels. Which I agree, it definitely should have anti-scalp and I wish it carried my beloved velocity. But for 5g? A full blown hydro with transaxles?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also, I should mention, I checked one of these out at the Scag dealer the other day and I liked what I saw. Plus, the deck height is so easily adjustable. Friggin' brilliant. That's something my guys complain about all the time with the Turf Tracers and Vikings. It's a PITA to switch heights... but it's something that needs to be done frequently.