Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Need advice on software-looking for new options

I've been a RealGreen user for my two lawn care businesses for almost 10 yrs now. I have a pretty hefty investment in Realgreen, and that's one of the reasons why I hesitate to switch now.

BUT, I've gotten frustrated with their lack of flexibility and mobility as it relates to how I want to operate. I want to go paperless (or as close as I can) and I want to have scheduling flexibility in a mobile oriented system without being owned by our current paper invoice shuffling system.

Yes, they have their new mobile live, but it is limited in my view. Mobile live offers the ability for the technician to mark work complete with condition codes and products, etc, instead of bringing the work back to the office for data entry. Yes, this is definitely a time saver but I don't see any other value. I feel like we need to go with an electronic system that emails the notes and invoice when the service is complete. I've been wanting to track costs and time on the jobs more readily so i can see what we're actually making on my customers lawns. I especially don't want to have my technicians having to print something out each stop.

The software doesn't give me (the owner) any access in the field that helps me to manage the accounts, contact the customer, sell and add services, create and email estimates, or look at customer history.

I want to be able to schedule flexibly (similar to what i do now in Service Assistant), assign the route to technicians, reschedule easily for skips, upsell services and mark complete on the spot, and easily send the invoice via email. ALL, without having to print/unprint invoices and shuffle them from field to office and back.

As I research alternatives, I like certain features in Clip, Hindsite, Evergreen, and Service Autopilot. I'd love to get the feedback of anyone why has used Realgreen AND switched to something different. I really like certain other features in Realgreen like prepay letters, scheduling, marketing, and reports. I realize that i will have to lose some things but I'm most concerned about the fact that my business revolves around the software, and I don't want to have our lives revolve around printing and unprinting invoices. Realgreen has a tremendous revenue source based on printing invoices. I've grown ever more concerned that they don't want to lose the revenue source of invoices and therefore will never let go of the absolute necessity of printing their forms. This is a sticking point for me.

Any recommendations would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I didnt mention that I'm we do lawn and tree treatments. no mowing.

also, Jobber looks interesting. wondering if there's any input out there??
Old 08-14-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centraltxturf View Post
I didnt mention that I'm we do lawn and tree treatments. no mowing.

also, Jobber looks interesting. wondering if there's any input out there??
I looked at many of them and continue to do so...I've used clip for 10,12 years...we have tablets and mobile phones which they record info and i download to my computer each day...very easy and accurate
Old 08-14-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
I looked at many of them and continue to do so...I've used clip for 10,12 years...we have tablets and mobile phones which they record info and i download to my computer each day...very easy and accurate
Thanks. Do you print and leave behind invoices or do you email them instead?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using real green also and love it but am pissed about the lack of mobility and cloud based software....i feel like this should have been done years ago and now they are just coming out with it and like you, I feel the mobile live just doesn't cut it.....and is way overpriced for what it does...I would love to switch to something Im just not sure there is something else out there like real green....and real green knows it!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper44 View Post
I have been using real green also and love it but am pissed about the lack of mobility and cloud based software....i feel like this should have been done years ago and now they are just coming out with it and like you, I feel the mobile live just doesn't cut it.....and is way overpriced for what it does...I would love to switch to something Im just not sure there is something else out there like real green....and real green knows it!
Have you looked at Clip? I used i 10-14 yrs ago and it wasn't that great, although it seems to have come a long way. They seem to have some good mobile features.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper44 View Post
I would love to switch to something Im just not sure there is something else out there like real green....and real green knows it!
If something better does come out, its likely RG will just buy them out.

Quote:
Realgreen has a tremendous revenue source based on printing invoices. I've grown ever more concerned that they don't want to lose the revenue source of invoices and therefore will never let go of the absolute necessity of printing their forms.
whoa there, you wouldnt accuse RG of ever doing something just for the money now would you? (as if we dont either though - I sure do)

In all reality, if there was something else out there that was better, you know Scotts, Lawn Dr, etc huge companies would be using it. The reality is, they help you grow (alot) and along the way you send them monies as a thank you. I know we couldnt do what we do without them (for better of worse).
Old 08-18-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I email invoices exclusively and also have fkexibility to email problems that the technician found onsite as well as send pre and post job completion notifications via email...

And can access the online version while out in field..

My employees clock in and out of jobs while onsite and I dkwnload data at end of day..
All invoices are transfered to QB...takes a minute...then I email..

It has the most scheduling flexibity...jobber doesn't have near the amount of features, but has the potential in the future to develop ..their developer seems like they will get there in afew years, though he won't have the experi3nce clip software team does...they are very responsive to suggestions
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 11-21-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I email all invoices via QuickBooks. Clip can do it also or print job route invoices to leave at houses
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 08-15-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

jobber is awesome, it will do anything you want it to do. You can create routes, access it from your tabled or phone, send invoices in batches and automatically makes them. Sam the co-founder floats around on here. Go to getjobber.com and it will explain what all it does.

Tags
autopilot , clip , hindsite , jobber , realgreen , software