Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Why I buy Exmark 30 inch lawn mowers

I bought 3 exmark 30 inch lawn mowers this spring. I was one of the test dummies. We had some problems with the transmissions on all three mowers. We had some cables breaking. It was frusturating early on. The transmission problems seemed to be worked out. The cable situation is taken care of by exmark redesigning the ball in the cable. I really like the exmark 30's. Yes there has been some adjustments that needed to be made, but I knew that would happen in the early stages. People on this site are asking if they should buy a 30 inch exmark. I would say yes if it applies to your situation. I love the cut, changing from discharge to mulch to bagging is simple. I really like Kawi engines. We save gas and you can run them a long time before you need a fill up. They are fast and much more productive then 21's. Easy for employee's to pick up. The self propel is easy on the hands. They are easy to turn. The ht adjustment is easy and it goes up to 5 inches. I love the timed blades. Maint. on the machine is easy. I haven't seen any turf tear or rutting. There are limitations on this machine as there are on any mower. They are not good on hills, if you have to cut super high grass this may not be the best machine. I really like the support I got from Exmark. I called and talked to them and they gave me honest feedback. They told me early that they had a tranny problem and they would correct it. They then added another year of warrantity for the trannys. They came out and said they needed to fix the cables and did. In a time when many business's don't live up to backing there product it was nice to talk with exmark's manager Paul Jurgens. Paul really helped me out and not with just talk but action. Every business encounters adversity, what that buisness does in those times separates them from the pack. This why I bought three 30's from exmark and will continue to buy exmark: It's a really good mower with really good support behind it. Just my honest opinion for other landscapers interested in this mower.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm interrested in seeing some pics of the cut quality in damp grass or in the morning.What time do you guy's start cutting?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Even though I'm looking to sell mine, I cut a yard with it Sunday and man it looked good. In the right conditions a truley awesome cut. Exmark as a company gets 5 stars from me!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
Even though I'm looking to sell mine, I cut a yard with it Sunday and man it looked good. In the right conditions a truley awesome cut. Exmark as a company gets 5 stars from me!
"In the right conditions"….…Yeah.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Heh. I was just looking at the Toros (residential and commercial) side by side today.

I can't wrap my head around two grand for a push mower since I already own a 36" walk behind, but I am considering the residential model. Still a lot of money, but I don't know that for twice the price, the commercial version is twice as good. Better? yes, but two times better? I doubt it.

Edit to add:
I don't mean to come off the way that post reads - if the mowers work well for the OP, that's great and I'm happy to read the "review".
Thanks for sharing your thoughts as every bit of info I can find will help me make an informed decision when I eventually DO make the purchase!

Last edited by OakNut; 08-20-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
"In the right conditions"….…Yeah.
Yep, thats what I was thinking too. Most mowers even a cheap throw away will cut good in the so called right conditions. Unfortunately I live in an area with alot of rain causing heavy growth and terrain with steep grades on many properties. These 30" mowers seem way too underpowered for my application. I would consider the residential timemaster over the commercial units because of the weight.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
Yep, thats what I was thinking too. Most mowers even a cheap throw away will cut good in the so called right conditions. Unfortunately I live in an area with alot of rain causing heavy growth and terrain with steep grades on many properties. These 30" mowers seem way too underpowered for my application. I would consider the residential timemaster over the commercial units because of the weight.
Trust me they are, why would they think it's a good idea to put the same engine on this that's on a 21''.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
Trust me they are, why would they think it's a good idea to put the same engine on this that's on a 21''.
You really might want to demo one first before making judgement. I too thought it would be underpowered. The first day I demoed one I knew I had to have one. The thing is fast and the controls are very similier to our toro prolines. When you turn on the blades you know right off the bat this is unlike any 21." We have had ours for around 2.5 months now and use it daily in all conditions. Wet, dry, tall, limp grass like I said all conditions. We mowed a heavy fertilized lawn that is irrigated. The grass was and easy 8" It was about 4" above the deck skirt. I could mow through it at a good 3-4mph and the cut was flawless. The engine bogged a little but so would my 60" turf tracer going through that. Now I did have the bag on and I am sure that help a lot. That Kawasaki engine is very impressive. Hills are its downfall due to the machines weight. Now of course we still use it on some crazy steep hard to mow areas but it is a workout. Of all the 30" models on the market I think the Exmark is hands down the finest of the bunch for the commercial contractor.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
really looking for something that works good in all the wrong conditions.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 09-11-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape View Post
really looking for something that works good in all the wrong conditions.
Than this is definitely the wrong mower..