Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-30-2013, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Captured Beauty - Jobsite Images

How often do you rush through your day, only "looking" at what's next on the schedule?

For the most part, we are incredibly fortunate to work outdoors rather than being stuck inside, looking at the same four walls every day. There is something new, something different, at every job we work, and even when it feels like you've mowed the same lawn just yesterday, if you take a moment to look around, you will note the subtle differences each time you are there.

I've begun to snap a photo here and there of items of interest that I happen upon in my daily "routine". When you look up, and away from the grass at your feet, you will notice that there is nothing "routine" about outdoor work - there is always something different to see.

Here are some of the things that I see. Feel free to add some of your own!

All photos taken with Samsung Galaxy SII
I do not pretend to be a photographer - I just take a lot of photos and sometimes they turn out OK.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Great Pics! Sometimes it's hard to step out of the "routine" and notice the things around us. I for one, would never go back to a "desk job"!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4CORNERS View Post
Great Pics! Sometimes it's hard to step out of the "routine" and notice the things around us. I for one, would never go back to a "desk job"!
There's a lawn I've mowed for the last three years and about two weeks ago I finally noticed that a huge tree in the back is dead.
I just never bothered to look up. LOL
Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Katydid...

Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

What kind of camera as those are very clear pictures?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobs41378 View Post
What kind of camera as those are very clear pictures?

As noted in the first post ( ) I just use my cell phone - a Samsung Galaxy SII.
I look forward to upgrading, as I'm sure the newer phones have even better cameras.
This one is 8 Megapixels. I like it, but it does poorly in low light, or very bright light.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Real nice phone pics. Very clear. It's always a struggle to get "great" pics with such a small sensor and lens but those are good ones. I love the focus on the Katydid. Do you have the ability to manually focus or is it all auto?

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Real nice phone pics. Very clear. It's always a struggle to get "great" pics with such a small sensor and lens but those are good ones. I love the focus on the Katydid. Do you have the ability to manually focus or is it all auto?
Thanks.

If you simply press the button to take a photo, it will lock onto "something", focus, and commence with taking the photo. You never know what part of the subject in the viewfinder it will focus on. OK for a distant shot taken quickly, but not ideal.

To focus "manually", you touch the screen and it will focus on that spot. I would imagine most phone cameras work this way.

I took about 7 pics of the katydid. Most were not very crisp when reviewing them later. It's tougher yet when moving in so close. Some of the pics had the bug's "face" in focus, but the wing detail was lost. Some ended up the exact opposite - this pic was a good balance of the two.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Thanks.

If you simply press the button to take a photo, it will lock onto "something", focus, and commence with taking the photo. You never know what part of the subject in the viewfinder it will focus on. OK for a distant shot taken quickly, but not ideal.

To focus "manually", you touch the screen and it will focus on that spot. I would imagine most phone cameras work this way.

I took about 7 pics of the katydid. Most were not very crisp when reviewing them later. It's tougher yet when moving in so close. Some of the pics had the bug's "face" in focus, but the wing detail was lost. Some ended up the exact opposite - this pic was a good balance of the two.
Yeah, that one has a really nice foreground focus. I don't have a smartphone yet, so my flip phone's camera is terrible compared to most of the new phones.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I might as well throw a few up real quick. Nothing spectacular, but I thought they were cool.