Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Lesco 52" Hydro

First of all...Lesco.. Good? Bad? or Ugly?

2nd, what do you think about this deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Lesco-5...item2c716a4a45

Basically, I bought a Ferris 32" belt drive no more than a month ago and I am pretty much sick of it. Its probably a early 2000's model. Dont get me wrong, its in great shape and gives a good cut, but with my yard, its a bad choice. I situations where I need to reverse. With a belt drive, its a pain. Not to mention, manually finding gears is also a pain. I consider it a lesson learned, but a hydro is the way to go.

That said, I am looking at the above hydro. It fits my budget and appears to be decent looking. I am going to look at it this week. What should I look for? I see that one of the bars by the bottom left tire appears bent (looking from behind). Is that normal? Anyone know how these things ride on hills? Are lesco good choppers?

Love this forum and love the help you guys give me.

Warren
Old 09-04-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I own one and for a reliable no thrills mower it is tough to beat, the front roller can and will hurt you with a Velkie at speed, I took mine off. It really needs a 3rd wheel up there.

They don't cut Bahia real well where I am and setting height with front spacers doesn't help when trying to go 1 to a 5 inch cut. The 19 Horse Kaw is a awesome monster never bog it down.

The best thing to do to that mower is put 20 x 10 tires and wheels on it and it will pull a Sulkie at 8 or 9 MPH and compete with a z but you better have the safety stuff working if you fall off.

I have mine setup like that and it is a monster mower capable of really mowing about anything. The big wheels give it big time drive and bite no compare to the stock wheel setup. Like I said it can hurt you like that or kill somebody else.

The hydraulics are stout! stout mower!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had one in a 48" model. I didn't like the feel of the controls compared to a Scag. The other thing I didn't like was the square left front corner on the deck. It would grab chain link fence and pull you in to it mangle it up bad. I like the rounded off decks for this reason.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The thing I do not like about the old Scag was you could not put bigger drive wheels on it because they would run into the deck. I have a 61 Hydro and really cant tell much difference between Scag and Lesco but because I can put bigger 20 inch wheels on a Lesco it stomps the Scag in traction, pull and speed.

I never really had a issue with the deck.

Tags
52" , for sale , hydro , lesco