Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-11-2013, 05:22 PM
premierlawncaremi's Avatar
premierlawncaremi premierlawncaremi is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 58
Exmark mower cutting issues

I have an eXmark 60" with Ultra Cut deck and an Ultra Vac system. I have been dealing with a "brown strip" issue all summer and I've done EVERYTHING possible to try and fix it and nothing seems to help. Here is a list of all the things I've tried:
- Adjusted scalping wheels and didn't change anything.
- Checked to make sure deck was not bent.
- Check tire pressure and actually swapped both tires to see if that was an issue.
- Both front tire bearings have been replaced, no slop at all.
- Checked spindles and swapped two spindles to see if that would help and did not.
- Iv'e leveled the deck probably 8 times. Both blade tips measure exactly the same height on both sides.

I have a feeling it is getting "too much suction" if that is even possible thus cutting the outside stripe shorter because the grass is standing up higher? Is it something with my Ultra Vac? It still seems to do it when the bagger is off but not near as bad, if at all. The weird thing is if you get down and actually look at the grass closely it doesn't appear to be cut shorter in the spot where the strip is. Any ideas?? This one might take a pro!
In the pictures look for a brown line on the left side of the pass (right side of deck)



__________________
www.premierlawncaremi.com

2003 Chevy Duramax 6.6 w/ 8'-2" BOSS V
1999 Chevy 6.5 Diesel 1 Ton w/ Dump and Western Plow
Exmark 60" ultra cut w/ Ultravac
2012 Redmax handhelds
Solo backpack sprayers
PermaGreen Centri Spreader/Sprayer
16' trailer

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Exmark PR Exmark PR is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Beatrice, Nebraska
Posts: 230
We believe what you are seeing is thatch that's being drawn up to the top of the turf. A lower lift blade (such as the Extreme2) would resolve the issue.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-12-2013, 01:55 PM
premierlawncaremi's Avatar
premierlawncaremi premierlawncaremi is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmark PR View Post
We believe what you are seeing is thatch that's being drawn up to the top of the turf. A lower lift blade (such as the Extreme2) would resolve the issue.
That is pretty interesting because i havent thought of that, you may be right but I have been using these blades for two years now and haven't had a problem so why now would they start doing this? I use Oregon high lift blades
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Sharpcut 1's Avatar
Sharpcut 1 Sharpcut 1 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Roseville, MI
Posts: 450
Did you change rear tires lately?? Strip seems to be at inside edge of rear tire.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-12-2013, 05:29 PM
premierlawncaremi's Avatar
premierlawncaremi premierlawncaremi is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpcut 1 View Post
Did you change rear tires lately?? Strip seems to be at inside edge of rear tire.
No the tires haven't been changed for several years. I switched the two back tires to see if that would change anything and it didn't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 AM
herler herler is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,562
Nah, it's just an Exmark, that's how it cuts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-13-2013, 02:03 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,934
I see your from MI also. We have had so much thatch build up this year its been insane. Start looking at the surrounding lawns and you will notice brown thatch everywhere. I have not had a week where I cut off less than 3 inches of growth on every lawn I mow. Some lawns its been closer to 5 inches.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-15-2013, 11:55 AM
premierlawncaremi's Avatar
premierlawncaremi premierlawncaremi is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I see your from MI also. We have had so much thatch build up this year its been insane. Start looking at the surrounding lawns and you will notice brown thatch everywhere. I have not had a week where I cut off less than 3 inches of growth on every lawn I mow. Some lawns its been closer to 5 inches.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am not too convinced that's an issue since all my lawns get bagged every week all year lawn so there should be almost no thatch buildup..
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by premierlawncaremi View Post
I am not too convinced that's an issue since all my lawns get bagged every week all year lawn so there should be almost no thatch buildup..
Posted via Mobile Device
Thatch does NOT come from mulching or side discharging unless a thatch problem already exists in the lawn, and even then it is nowhere near the main cause of thatch buildup.

Here's some good reading for anyone interested in it-

http://plantscience.psu.edu/research...tsheets/thatch
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-15-2013, 07:51 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Thatch does NOT come from mulching or side discharging unless a thatch problem already exists in the lawn, and even then it is nowhere near the main cause of thatch buildup.

Here's some good reading for anyone interested in it-

http://plantscience.psu.edu/research...tsheets/thatch
Aggressive fertilization. Thatch can accumulate quickly following aggressive nitrogen fertilizer programs. Nitrogen promotes thatch development because it increases production of root and stem tissues. The ability of some nitrogen sources to acidify soils also may reduce the rate of thatch breakdown.


good ground+lots of water+plus optium growth tempeture=the issues above(increased production of root and stem tissues. if he bags then this should not be his issues anyways
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.09478 seconds with 8 queries