Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2013, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Is an LLC needed?

If you are doing lawns and clean-ups for residential homes (perhaps duplexes), and repo homes, do you need to have an LLC?

Thanks for your responses in advance! =)
Old 09-16-2013, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

No.......
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2013, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

When would you need one? DBA or mnic (not sure what these are---saw on another thread).
Old 09-16-2013, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You would decide this at the time you decide what type of business you want to have, dba is doing business as. I suggest you use the search feature hear....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Llc will seperate you from your biz. I recommend in case you kill someone or get sued. As a dba they can take your assetts even personally as collateral. I am llc and I lease any equipment or real estate the biz uses to the biz, so technacally the biz doesnt really own anything.. it has tax benefits too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Llc will seperate you from your biz. I recommend in case you kill someone or get sued. As a dba they can take your assetts even personally as collateral. I am llc and I lease any equipment or real estate the biz uses to the biz, so technacally the biz doesnt really own anything.. it has tax benefits too
Posted via Mobile Device
What Tax benefits?
The IRS Does not recognize LLC's.

It does not protect you or separate you and your company assets. Especially if you are a single member or you and your wife or you and your single business partner. I think I may have made a mistake going with an LLC. But for $300 a year I figure what the hell.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
What Tax benefits?

It does not protect you or separate you and your company assets. Especially if you are a single member or you and your wife or you and your single business partner. I think I may have made a mistake going with an LLC. But for $300 a year I figure what the hell.
My attorney did advise that an LLC does provide protection of my personel assets. To play along with your statement, why would anyone form an LLC?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
What Tax benefits?

Um, yes it does, but to an extent. An LLC (limited liability company) won't protect you if you run someone over with your mower, but it will protect you if you underbid a $250,000 job and need to declare bankruptcy. I have no idea why people think that an LLC instantly protects your personal assets from legal situations that you are personally responsible for.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
Um, yes it does, but to an extent. An LLC (limited liability company) won't protect you if you run someone over with your mower, but it will protect you if you underbid a $250,000 job and need to declare bankruptcy. I have no idea why people think that an LLC instantly protects your personal assets from legal situations that you are personally responsible for.
Right!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets this. Case in point. What happened to Bernie Madoffs personal property? Was that protected by his corporation? The ultimate rule in this great country "you can sue anybody for anything"
Posted via Mobile Device