Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mulchers/Land Clearing Guys, Good entry level machine??

This will be the last thread for now about a machine. I just like to get y'all's opinion on machines from guys in the field.

Been thinking about the advice of finding a bigger machine to open more doors.

05' Bobcat T300 w/ 2100hrs.
Full cab, pilot controls, hi-flow aux hydros,
2speed, wide track. Comes with Tushhog mulcher head.
Asking $34k obo

Sprockets:

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Needs at least tracks and a bucket. Never really heard of tushhog to be honest

For that much money you can get something with half the hours. You can always rent a mulched attachment
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't look like it has a forestry package on it, and T300 never came with 2 speed. If you are going to do mulching I highly recommend a forestry package, keeps debris out of the engine compartment which can quickly build up and cause a fire. Also you need the lexan door. It's a matter of safety.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Like AEL stated...I wouldn't brush cut without a Lexan door and a forestry package. I would also get the service history on that machine. There were many, many failures of those Rexroth drive motors due to excess heat caused by mud build up around the sprocket and drive motor. Hence their new design. Is it me, or does the machine list to the right? Maybe its just the ground. Check the motor mounts too. I saw plenty of them broken in brush cutting applications due to the rough terrain pounding.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

go find a nicer low hour machine something like this

http://www.emeryequipment.com/pre_ow...R0&veh=1654256

this should retail 35k-37k
Old 09-18-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc2010 View Post
go find a nicer low hour machine something like this

http://www.emeryequipment.com/pre_ow...R0&veh=1654256

this should retail 35k-37k
They sold that machine almost 2yr ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The tushhogg is a fairly low maintenance attachment. i owned one for several years. With that said, it doesn't mulch as fine as other heads BUT you have the ability to mill asphalt, rock, caliche, and large stumps. With practice, you can get stumps below grade.

Even the Tushhogg, advertised for needing less horsepower to run, will put a strain on that machine's hydraulic system if it is used in thick material. The radiators a harder to clean out than other brands but with some up front money to get them in shape and a few tricks I can give you, you can mow, mulch, etc., and not overheat that machine.

Is it a K series or G? K came out sometime mid 2005 I think. K will have a few minor upgrades. Probably the biggest is the hydraulic fan versus belt drive.

Lexan is a must. I have given out the name of a shop in Ohio that has my old lexan door as a pattern and will cut a new one that will fit perfectly where your glass is now. The tushhogg can and does have whole teeth and holders come off. If that head is off the ground, it could enter cab. The lexan should stop that even at 1/4" which I was told is rated to 300 mph impact.

I know you can get a used head like that for $10-11k because I have sold them used and with less hours. Not sure of the machine's value but it does look like it needs some TLC on UC.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing

Last edited by YellowDogSVC; 09-18-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry but i haven't seen any machine so far that you have posted that has been approved by anyone including me.I know with where you are located that used,clean machines is rare from what you are posting.I would be looking farther away if it was me.Altho i know freight is high to get things shipped,but i think you would be more happy with your buy.

Forget your buddys fixing you up with a machine,thoughts.I know time is coming with the storm season on the way,but your just not looking in the right places for machine or you need to bite the bullet and go new or low,low,houred machine hunting.

I have a machine(high flow and all the options)never used high flow since had it, with over 3000 hours now and i bought new that makes those look like drag queens.Plus also have Cat 315 mulcher.There lots of machines out there got to be something better then those.

Go back to the low hour KubotaCTL before i would go with those posted.Good luck keep looking,but just don't buy a headache because you need a machine right now.

I'm also having the same trouble looking for lowboy truck tractor,but if i'm going to spend money it's going to be decent machine at a decent price or no buy.Sorry about the post but don't make a big mistake because your in a hurry now that your other skid is gone.You getting desperate and your pay for it. Good luck
Old 09-18-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Construct'O is on the same page as me. I hope i dont sound like jack arse when i have commented on machines you posted before and my advice but believe me i have been there before and trying to conserve capital and be all over the place with what i am going to buy, When you are pressured and or desperate for a machine you can make bad mistakes. I have done it before and almost lost my shirt on repairs. I dont want to see you have to go through what i did! You know your business , your financials better then anyone on here . But if you have work lined up and stable financials go out and get a new or very low houred machine that is realiable . Beieve me it does not make a good impression on a developer, general contractor, home owner etc when you show up with a beat up machine that is breaking down, or on the verge of breaking down.

Just remember if you are going to get drunk you may as well get drunk on fine wine/liqour

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
Construct'O is on the same page as me. I hope i dont sound like jack arse when i have commented on machines you posted before and my advice but believe me i have been there before and trying to conserve capital and be all over the place with what i am going to buy, When you are pressured and or desperate for a machine you can make bad mistakes. I have done it before and almost lost my shirt on repairs. I dont want to see you have to go through what i did! You know your business , your financials better then anyone on here . But if you have work lined up and stable financials go out and get a new or very low houred machine that is realiable . Beieve me it does not make a good impression on a developer, general contractor, home owner etc when you show up with a beat up machine that is breaking down, or on the verge of breaking down.

Just remember if you are going to get drunk you may as well get drunk on fine wine/liqour
Image IS everything. Espically when you're going after large contracts
Posted via Mobile Device