Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-18-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl FS90 needs Short Block

FS-90 has not been running up to potential so I brought it in for service. I was told it needs a short block.......repair cost $325.00

Obviously, it would make no sense to repair for that price, new FS 90 is $299.00

Unit is running, just not as well as it should.

Any ideas how to salvage this trimmer?? Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Man, I don't mean to break bad on your shop people but I have been fed line of bull after line of bull to the point I don't hardly believe a word they're saying...
And it's possible, they could be right.

How much do you know about engines?

Can you compression test it?
Replace the air filter and spark plug?
Can you adjust the valves?

Those would be the first steps.

Beyond that I'd likely be looking into carburetor, new fuel lines and filter, and ignition coil.
By now you'd be out near $100, DIY

From what you're describing I'd chance it, I mean I'm already all over it if you haven't noticed.

Up to you ...

Nothing else you can keep the parts for your next one, but I think with some tinkering you can get it running good.
What else you might do is buy another as a backup, then you have time to work on it, too.

Last edited by herler; 09-18-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

herler is correct shop rates make it cost prohibitive to have the dealer repair your trimmer (hedge, blowers, edges the list goes on)

pull the muffler an check the piston an ring

these Stihl trimmers, and chainsaws are not overly complicated You've got nothing lose tear into it an see what cookin
HT131, FS80 (4), FS85 (3), FS90R (2), FS110R (3), FS130R (2), FS250 one bike, one loop, FS550 ("aka the Beast"), HL110k (2), FC110 (2), BR420 mag (3), BR600 Mag blowers (3) , 192T (2), 200T (1), MS290, MS261 (2), 660 a beast
880 more saw than anyone in Florida prob needs
Dolmar 7900
Old 09-19-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austins35 View Post
herler is correct shop rates make it cost prohibitive to have the dealer repair your trimmer (hedge, blowers, edges the list goes on)

pull the muffler an check the piston an ring

these Stihl trimmers, and chainsaws are not overly complicated You've got nothing lose tear into it an see what cookin

The unit as stated is an FS90! It is a 4-STROKE engine! Pulling the muffler will not reveal anything about the piston/rings/cylinder condition!

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post
The unit as stated is an FS90! It is a 4-STROKE engine! Pulling the muffler will not reveal anything about the piston/rings/cylinder condition!
Not much experience with Stihl or 4 mix, but they are still burning a mix. Do they not have exhaust port carbon issues?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know what to tell you 4-cycle hand tool haters but the longest running tools in my arsenal are ALL 4-cyclers, we're talking 9 years of almost every day use on one... The other's got like 6 years, another 7, I never saw that kind of longevity in the 2-cyclers but you have to get out of a certain mindset that boggles you down into believing what you believe or you'll never come out ahead, like any piece of equipment they do require maintenance a bit beyond pouring gas in the tank, so long this maintenance is performed periodically I have found little problem.

Granted some are brain busters but hey, if you don't want your 4-cyclers I will PAY the shipping to my house (assuming they are whole units with no parts broken or missing).
Old 09-19-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I don't know what to tell you 4-cycle hand tool haters but the longest running tools in my arsenal are ALL 4-cyclers, we're talking 9 years of almost every day use on one... The other's got like 6 years, another 7, I never saw that kind of longevity in the 2-cyclers but you have to get out of a certain mindset that boggles you down into believing what you believe or you'll never come out ahead, like any piece of equipment they do require maintenance a bit beyond pouring gas in the tank, so long this maintenance is performed periodically I have found little problem.

Granted some are brain busters but hey, if you don't want your 4-cyclers I will PAY the shipping to my house (assuming they are whole units with no parts broken or missing).
I will agree with you, My 2 stokers only last me 3 years. Now my 4 mix last me 4 years. I had one this year was its fourth year and the piston rod broke and screwed it up bad.
If you can get 9 years out one then, I say you don't trim much.

One way to know if you trim a lot is how long does 2.5 gal of fuel last you??

My self Im lucky to get 2 days out of 2.5 gal and that's running 2-3 trimmers
Friday I'll use 2.5 gals on one lawn and that's just trimmers
Old 09-19-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Definitely go with Echo 265 when you replace it, a 2 stroke and adjustable carburetor.
Stihl has plenty of 2 stroke models that have adjustable carburetors... What makes the Echo 265 special?

The days of having a "fully adjustable" carburetor are long gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnC View Post
Not much experience with Stihl or 4 mix, but they are still burning a mix. Do they not have exhaust port carbon issues?
2 strokes are the ones with exhaust screens, ports and mufflers that have the issue of stopping up... 4 strokes do not typically have any of those issues.

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 09-19-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post

I became a 4-Mess hater by owning one. I traded my old Stihl 2-stroke in on one and it stank from day one. My local dealer is a full line Sthl, RedMax, Shindy, dealer and has been for many years. Since the advent of the 4-Mess he says he'll sell 10 2 strokes to one 4-Mess. He's not a Stihl hater but tries to steer people away from them that run commercially.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

fs 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post
I work at dealer we use a quick assessment. if unit needs new head Throttle cable and carb or bad leak down or crankcase pressure leak is a defiantly not worth fixing..sounds like it has a bad exhaust valve,