Register free!

Old 09-21-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Starting a Centipede lawn from seed

I have a customer that wants a centipede lawn. For economic reasons it would be seeded vs sod. The yard is currently bahia, bermuda & weeds. I know the basics of starting a lawns from seed and have done it with bermuda which is fairly easy. I know it will be more of a challenge with centipede. I'm located in south Arkansas, the lawn has irrigation & will do this next May. For those of you who have established a cenitpede lawn from seed what were your experiences & any advice over the basics would be appreciated.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unless you use a lot of seed it is going to take a couple years to do. You'll be real good at weed control by the time it's done.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I realize it's going to be a process and won't be as quick & easy as bermuda.
Know the basics, just looking for tips beyond the norm.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is there any product that would I could use similiar to the mulch they use when hydroseeding to hold dirt in case of a hard rain.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the area is that big, it might be worth it to have it hydromulched. One more thing, it you are starting over, now is the time to soil test and correct soil chemistry. It is rare that I get to have sulfur tilled in before a lawn is planted. Usually, I am having to spray wettable sulfur and water it in. On the weeds, Tenacity works great on a lot of weeds and even better if it is combined with a triazine herbicide.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-24-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
If the area is that big, it might be worth it to have it hydromulched. One more thing, it you are starting over, now is the time to soil test and correct soil chemistry. It is rare that I get to have sulfur tilled in before a lawn is planted. Usually, I am having to spray wettable sulfur and water it in. On the weeds, Tenacity works great on a lot of weeds and even better if it is combined with a triazine herbicide.
I checked into hydro seeding and it seeems to be the way to go. They said they mix the centipede in with a hybrid bermuda. According to them the bermuda gives a stand of grass the 1st year and then the centipede takes over as time goes. What do you think about this?

Tenacity, good idea, would you apply pre plant or after seed germinates?

So a triazine such as metsulfuron would not affect new seedlings? I read the label and it mentions new landscape plantings but not grass seed. Just wondering since I tend to use metsulfuron a lot.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I checked into hydro seeding and it seeems to be the way to go. They said they mix the centipede in with a hybrid bermuda. According to them the bermuda gives a stand of grass the 1st year and then the centipede takes over as time goes. What do you think about this?

Tenacity, good idea, would you apply pre plant or after seed germinates?

So a triazine such as metsulfuron would not affect new seedlings? I read the label and it mentions new landscape plantings but not grass seed. Just wondering since I tend to use metsulfuron a lot.
No bermuda. It is faster growing than the centipede and if it does not die out or get choked out, what an expensive mess to kill off. I would use the Tenacity as the preemergent over the seeded area, with the ability to apply two more 4 oz application if needed. Metsulfuron should be saved for when the centipede has been growing for at least a year. I would consider milder products like Quicksilver for broadleaf weed control during grow in.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-22-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You could try Pennmulch for starting new seed. Absorbs a lot of water and holds it near the seed. Apply with spreader, large opening type.
http://natseed.com/pennmulch-seed-accelerator.htm
Naturally you want a starter fert--one suitable for centipede--no chlorine--I heard that on Lawnsite--not in Michigan. Heavy watering on day one will get you off to a good start.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...p&fr=yfp-t-141
Old 09-24-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seem a bit late for centipede which needs 75+ to germinate the seed. When I've needed to reseed or just augment the existing grass, the soil was very warm during the 1st of June. I think it might be "Iffy" now. It may have time to germinate but getting a good stand before cold weather could be difficult.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't like the idea of putting bermuda into the mix. I know you need a cover crop but i don't see the centipede out competing the bermuda, you could wind up with a real mess. You have irrigation, if you stay on top of the weed's you should be able to do it.