Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone working in East San Diego, CA?

How did you get some mowing or landscape jobs started? Craigslist? Flyers? Currently have moved to the area and I am trying to figure out what could work.

I need some Ideas or options of actual things that have brought work from people already working in this area or San diego county.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not many So California folks on here.

I had a nice little business in Simi Valley / Thousand Oaks area in the late 1980s early 1990s. However advertising has changed since then.

I will say putting flyers on peoples doors alaways worked for me out there. Plus the houses are real close togeather so you can cover a lot of homes quickly. Here in Bama flyers have been a complete dude.

One thing I did do when I advertised out there is put in all adds and flyers "American Owned, Owner Operated" it mad a huge difference.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Not many So California folks on here.

I had a nice little business in Simi Valley / Thousand Oaks area in the late 1980s early 1990s. However advertising has changed since then.

I will say putting flyers on peoples doors alaways worked for me out there. Plus the houses are real close togeather so you can cover a lot of homes quickly. Here in Bama flyers have been a complete dude.

One thing I did do when I advertised out there is put in all adds and flyers "American Owned, Owner Operated" it mad a huge difference.
Thank you for the advice! Anyone else use social media sites or even craigslist?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowing4rlife View Post
Thank you for the advice! Anyone else use social media sites or even craigslist?
They didn't have that stuff 20 years ago lol.

A lot of that stuff is inexpensive and Id do it if I needed work.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Things are a little different out here, Larry's right about the American owned & operated bit, it does make a difference. I've gotten jobs solely based on that fact alone. Now, with that said, the competition out here is pretty fierce because of the fact that there are so many fly by night operations who will provide everything for $35 a month front & back every week.

There are some restrictions on advertising - California requires a landscaper to be licensed to take on jobs over $500 & display their license info in their ads. They also require unlicensed contractors to state that they are unlicensed in any ads they take out.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

American owned would only work in Michigan if you were opening a party store
Old 09-26-2013, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbuchanan8154 View Post
American owned would only work in Michigan if you were opening a party store
It would be a hit for gas stations around here.

To the OP I don't have any So Cal specific information but in general craigslist will generate a few calls with a quality ad. I simply put the image of my print ad on there and added a few words at the bottom so I come up in keyword searches and got some work from there. General consensus on the site is to make a website, I'm guessing it would be hard to rank on google in your area but just having a website to put on your other advertisements makes you seem more legit.

I have a facebook page and I haven't had anyone specifically call and say they saw me on facebook but facebook gives you information on every post you make telling you how many people saw your post and again maybe they see something about you on facebook then somewhere else then somewhere else and decide to call. Somewhere buried in this forum they mention that it takes 3 times of seeing your information before they call. Be it a lettered truck, a website, a facebook post, a door hanger etc. Getting your name out there as many ways as possible creates brand recognition which will get you work.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Sponsor

Hi my name is Ashley and I’m with Adeas Printing. I was reading up on the thread going here and I just want to say that the redemption rates with customers for door hangers (especially California) are great. We offer the Band-It & Stick-It style Door Hangers that won’t fall off and end up in your yard and also work great for redemption as the customer can use the Stick-It to Stick-It to the fridge when they are ready to make that call. Right now we have an amazing offer for Door Hangers - 1,000 full color, full size including free design online tools for only $79. We also offer full color Postcards mailed for as low as $0.27 as well. Call me at (866) 778-4254 or email stickit@adeasprinting.com for a custom quote. We have videos of our products in action at www.adeasprinting.com/door-hangers if you want to see how they work for yourself. Thank you and let me know if I can help! ~ Ashley
Old 12-14-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Join the CA Native plant society ( www.cnpssd.org )

Learn how to maintain CA Native plants - arguably the hottest new trend in SO Cal landscaping.

You will be able to increase your labor rates, as well.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Move to Pacific Beach, set up shop, then quit as P.B is the party center of the world!!!!!!!!!