Register free!

Old 09-26-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Sugar Maple

I have a sugar maple in my front yard that I'd like to get input on if it's dying, or if it will heal. The trunk is about 5' tall then branches off about 5 times. There was a stump in the middle that was cut out and several of the crooks have open cavities in them. The tree bloomed this spring and looks fine except for the cavities. I have a white sycamore tree near this maple so I don't know if it crowded it out for light.

Would you let the tree to continue to grow or take it down?
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard of using concrete to prevent water getting into the hole and at that point just let it go... I'd think about taking off some of the other branches, yet keeping the balance...
good time of year to do that if it needs to be done...
Old 10-02-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like someone has really done an injustice to that tree. Maybe topped way to short and now the resprouted trunks are in poor shape. I have a very large oak tree in my yard that I had a large Limb removed a few years ago and that area is now rotting. Two arborists have looked at the tree and advised to leave it alone. They said it would die from the top down. If I start seeing dieing limbs give them a call and have it removed. They both strongly advised not to fill the hole with concrete as that would cause it to rot quicker. That said, call an arborist.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It looks as though the rotted leader is the result of the top snapping off,,, not cut on purpose... concrete has been used since before you and your arborists were born and I haven't heard that it caused increase rotting,,, in fact it has the opposite effect...

There is no reason to assume this tree will die... I have a forest full of all kinds of trees in all kinds of conditions from winds, heavy snows and even lightning... they are also older than any of us alive today...
Old 10-03-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Russell. That tree has been mutilated on numerous occasions and it is at risk of splitting off in numerous locations as the rot progresses, especially if you continue to allow top weight to develop.

And as usually, facts seem to be elusive for some members.

http://tcia.org/PDFs/Press%20Release...20Cavities.pdf
Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It used to be done to protect from more water penetrating the heartwood and causing the trunk to hollow out all the way to the ground... also to discourage squirrels and various other tree dwelling rodents from creating even faster damage to the heartwood...

It is a good thing to point out: that filling an entire trunk all the way to the ground with a cylinder of concrete may be a little risky...
Old 10-03-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
So arborists say don't do it, but you still continue to attempt to justify it. Just admit you were wrong and move on.

I'm with the others, somebody hacked that tree and it is more of a liability than an asset.

How close to the house is it?
The maple is about 20' to 25' away from my house. Last December, I had an arborist remove 4 white pine trees that were on the side and back on the house. He pointed out the rotten truck in the middle as he was walking the yard with me. Since he was already doing $3K in tree work, he cut out the rotten stump and removed some limbs that were rubbing. He did not mention taking this tree down that I remember. This March the tree was full of sap and I have been keeping on eye on it since he cleaned up the tree. The tree is not very tall (guess 30-40') and I would feel comfortable removing myself if needed.
Once my schedule slows down, I could have him take a look but wanted to see what others might recommend from their experience. Thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good read Kiril. Thanks