Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-28-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Customer wanting Lawn Cut at 1.5

All season long, I have been cutting these peoples lawn at 3.0 inches.
All of a sudden they complain saying that its way to high and that they want it cut at 1.5 inches, so that it really shows that it was cut. I tell them the consequences of cutting to low. They said we know, if it ballads its our problem not yours. We you even go back to these people .?
Old 09-28-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
All of a sudden they complain saying that its way to high and that they want it cut at 1.5 inches, so that it really shows that it was cut. I tell them the consequences of cutting to low. They said we know, if it ballads its our problem not yours. We you even go back to these people .?
Scalp it and take there money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
I believe your smart enough to not mow your customers lawn at 1.5". Don't waste any more time with this customer. Tell this customer that you can not mow at that height at all. Your reason is company policy prohibits wanting destruction of private property.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-28-2013, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good answer. I fired someone because they wanted to have their irrigation system set to apply 1/8" of water per week. Let me context this request. Honolulu, Hawaii rains less than 20" per year and most of the rain is from storms that dump several inches of water and then no more for months on end. I will do what is appropriate for the grass being grown in the conditions it is being grown in. Find someone else to kill your lawn.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-28-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
What kind of turf do they have??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cut it and take their money. If you don't somebody else will. I have people that would have their lawn like a putting green if their landscape would permit it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get rid of them...its your name on the property...if they won't take the advice from a pro, they are not worth it. Oddly enough i have never had a customer wanting me to cut turf that needs to be maintained high short. But then again why would they when it looks green and lush...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So in other words sir, you want to pay me to mow dirt? Let'er rip tater chip! When he see all the bald spots and scalps you can just stand there with a smirk as you ask for your money. Since I doubt he is growing a southern dwarf variety I'm quite confident the lawn will be ruined
Old 09-28-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
So in other words sir, you want to pay me to mow dirt? Let'er rip tater chip! When he see all the bald spots and scalps you can just stand there with a smirk as you ask for your money.
Let's discuss grass for a second. If you have a grass cut at one inches, and you have dead or bald spots now showing, is it the owners fault for wanting it cut too short? Or is it the landscapers fault for not keeping the lawn in healthy and perfect shape? Because from what I've seen a healthy "thick" lawn is not going to have dead or bare spots when cut at 1". Where if you have an unhealthy lawn that's used to being cut at 3" and you wack it down to 1", thus, it potentially will have and show dead or "bare" spots.

In my eyes it's a pretty picture having a lawn cut at 1" that's healthy, green, thick, and disease resistant. While if your worried about going from 3" to 1" in one mowing, of coarse the lawn is going to look like complete pchit. That takes us back to lawn mowing 101, never taking a 1/3rd off at a time.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersandWildcats2009 View Post
Let's discuss grass for a second. If you have a grass cut at one inches, and you have dead or bald spots now showing, is it the owners fault for wanting it cut too short? Or is it the landscapers fault for not keeping the lawn in healthy and perfect shape? Because from what I've seen a healthy "thick" lawn is not going to have dead or bare spots when cut at 1". Where if you have an unhealthy lawn that's used to being cut at 3" and you wack it down to 1", thus, it potentially will have and show dead or "bare" spots.

In my eyes it's a pretty picture having a lawn cut at 1" that's healthy, green, thick, and disease resistant. While if your worried about going from 3" to 1" in one mowing, of coarse the lawn is going to look like complete pchit. That takes us back to lawn mowing 101, never taking a 1/3rd off at a time.
You contradict yourself
Posted via Mobile Device