The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Trailer or Dump Truck
Trailer 4 19.05%
Dump Truck 17 80.95%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Dump Truck or Dump Trailer

I know this has already been asked but I'm new to the forum and my question wasn't completely answered in the thread.

I'm a new company 1.5 years in. I'm growing quickly and originally had one little dump truck. I finally got big enough to justify having two trucks and got a Chevy 2500HD. After I got the Chevy the Dump truck had an engine fire and burnt to the ground..

I'm currently looking at a Loadtrail 5x10 7k with ramps tarp barn doors, spreader gate and side extension kit $4999.00

Also looking at a 2001 DODGE / RAM D350 with "244,934 miles on it", $11,995

Used 2001 Dodge D-350 dump truck, 9'L x 40''W x 4''H, removable wood side, steel floor, 7 way receiver, rub rail, 4 hooks on each side, 2 hooks on rear, barn door style gate.

Once my old truck burnt down I told myself no more long term assists with short term money.

I honestly don't know which one would be the smarter buy. I currently have 6 employees some have trucks but no one wants to take anything more than tools.

I do about 4 - 6 full landscape projects a month and my thought was if I go with the trailer I can leave it on some jobs. It also has a lower loading height which might speed up my crew? Less to insure and less to maintain. I worry that If I buy another truck that has issues if it dies I wont be able to afford anything because quite honestly I'm close to tapped out on excess cash.

I could really use some advise from people who are actually in it instead of all the little birdies in my ear that work in construction but not landscape construction.

Thanks in advance for any response!
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Only you can make the call, the "dumpster" aspect of a trailer is great but don't be fooled, it still costs money in insurance tires brakes registration. And you still need a truck to tow it.

Pulling a trailer is a hassle in itself.

I'm assuming the truck is a gasser and you can get much more/ a nicer newer truck for that money.

I vote for a truck, get a trailer next year. They're cheap and it's nice to have both. That's what I did/will be doing
Old 09-30-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Do your employees normally take their pickups to your jobs? If I were employed with someone making an hourly rate I would not put miles/wear on my truck unless compensated generously for it.
If that trucks a gasser I wouldn't consider it for that price. If its a 24 valve cummins diesel then it seems fairly priced, miles are a little high
Old 09-30-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes it is a diesel. My big question is what will help move my company forward the quickest for the lowest cost. Figured someone on here was faced with a similar question...
Old 09-30-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Then the answer is a dump truck. You're busy. Here's an example.
You need 2 yards of mulch. Get in the dump, go get it. Push it into wheelbarrows from the dump bed while it's tilted up. Sweep up and get paid. Go home.
Or
Drive to trailer. Hook up. Maneuver to yard for mulch. Go to job, dump it on the ground or shovel it out. Sweep up and go drop off the trailer but some idiot parked a mile off the curb and you take 10 mins to back it in.

I'm also assuming you have a trailer full of equipment like every other landscaper, which you can tow with the dump truck. If you get the dump trailer you're loading all that stuff in the pickup bed or piling it in and out of the trailer every time you load, unload, and park it for the weekend. Not ideal and a total waste of time. Time is money.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've thought about selling my 18' dump trailer for a Crewcab f350/450 dump.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought the dump trailer first and used it every day for about three years and man was it better than hand bombing everything but as we grew I bought a dump truck. Now I have three small dump trucks that we use all the time and we still have the dump trailer but only use it once a week or so. Mostly the trailer is used when we are using wheel barrels in yards were the skid steer and mini ex don't fit. For hauling material the dump truck is the best but the dump trailer is really nice to have for loading material by hand because it has ramps and is lower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dycproperties View Post
I bought the dump trailer first and used it every day for about three years and man was it better than hand bombing everything but as we grew I bought a dump truck. Now I have three small dump trucks that we use all the time and we still have the dump trailer but only use it once a week or so. Mostly the trailer is used when we are using wheel barrels in yards were the skid steer and mini ex don't fit. For hauling material the dump truck is the best but the dump trailer is really nice to have for loading material by hand because it has ramps and is lower.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you for your response.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree dump trucks are useful when you have the proper equipment to load them but if you are loading by hand dump trailers are the way to go. Also it's nice to be able to put small equipment in the bed of the truck towing it and being able to dump the load without unhooking the trailer behind the dump truck.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For you I would suggest a dump insert. Because that trailer-- Really isnt any bigger than a dump insert.
I purchased a dump insert for 3500 New Truckcraft steel.. Installed in our shop and its been the best investment ever. We now have bigger trucks but for landscape jobs where you only use a couple yards its very versatile.

Tags
trailers , trucks