Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki FS worth $400 more than B&S commercial turf?

Hello, My 12 year old lawn tractor is just about dead. My property is about 4 acres of fairly thick grass and yes it takes forever to mow with a lawn tractor. Gravely is having a 20% off sale from now to some time in October. My local dealer has a Proturn 60 with a 25HP Briggs Commercial turf engine for $5360 and one with a 24HP Kawasaki FS730 for $5799. Is the FS series Kawasaki worth $400 more than the BS Commercial Turf? Is the Proturn 60 a decent mower? I can't afford to spend much more at the moment.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes and Yes. That's not to say the Briggs is a bad engine, most in here prefer Kawasaki
Old 10-01-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

A lot of people will say yes, yet if you google till you are blue in the face you will not find anything negative about the Briggs other than the HP rating seems to be higher than actual.

Retrodog (poster on here) sells a veritable ton of mowers with the B&S CT engine and he has nothing but good things to say about it. A lot of ppl like to bash B&S for their previous trashy engines, but it seems like the newer CT engine may be pretty good.

From everything I have researched, the Kawasaki is more popular, but it still has its fair share of failures and problems. Their FX engines had some serious issues recently as well, so while good they are not perfect.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. My dealer really likes the Briggs motors too. He said he hasn't had any complaints from the ones he has sold.

Next question: Is 24 or 25 HP too small for a 60in deck? Most of the big mowers are running 32 HP and up on 60 in decks.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick G View Post
Thanks for the replies. My dealer really likes the Briggs motors too. He said he hasn't had any complaints from the ones he has sold.

Next question: Is 24 or 25 HP too small for a 60in deck? Most of the big mowers are running 32 HP and up on 60 in decks.
For a homeowner mower that will keep the area under control... Fine. Probably ideal.
For a pro trying to max production.. More is better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They don't call them "Brakes & Scatters" for a reason...
Old 03-29-2014, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the same dilemma. Think I am going to go with the briggs on a Snapper Pro 125, 61" $5700