Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

26hp efi walker running rough??

I have a 03 walker 26hp efi just bought used, it cranks and idles great and the blades come on great. Once I idle the mower to almost or full idle the mower starts sputtering and running rough while sitting still, when I try to drive it and mow with the same thing happens, and I won't even be mowing grass just turn the blades on and it acts like it wants to cut off but never does. And after a few minutes of use the engine light comes on the will go back off shortly after. I ran the codes and it came up 34. Unplugged the computer and plugged it back up and ran almost the same but codes then read 61. Shut it off and restarted it and they ran 34 again? What's the deal? I was thinking just a fuel filter and plugs but that wouldn't make the mower run a 34 code would it? Maybe an oxygen (o2 sensor) Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the poor explanation guys just tried to tell it as good as I could lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same model and while I can't help you (sorry, just learning the engine myself) How are you reading the codes? I thought only the dealer was able to do this....
Old 10-04-2013, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Member

You just stick you key in and turn it on and off 2 times and on the third time wait with the key in and you'll see the engine light start flashing. Turn the key like this On-off On-off On.... It will blink a few times then pause then start blinking again, (two series of blinks) count the put them together and you have your code.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone??? need help on this so i can hopefully have it running soon!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did previous owner offer any history of past problems or work done?How many hours are on the machine?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Just the new blower installed, around 3000 hours
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Was going to try to fix it myself as I have an older walker coming out of the dealer right now that I had to shell out a lot for lol. Would the fuel pump make the code go off like that? I'll put new fuel lines and filter on tomorrow, it only sputters and skips on high idle would that still be fuel pump symtoms? So I need to check grounds that come off the computer or that the computer is bolted on?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcan View Post
Was going to try to fix it myself as I have an older walker coming out of the dealer right now that I had to shell out a lot for lol. Would the fuel pump make the code go off like that? I'll put new fuel lines and filter on tomorrow, it only sputters and skips on high idle would that still be fuel pump symtoms? So I need to check grounds that come off the computer or that the computer is bolted on?
Posted via Mobile Device
If fuel pump is bad I am not sure about the code it may trigger but I assume it would if fuel pressure is low.

If u do replace fuel line,some of itis high pressure line so u cant just use regular fuel line.Make sure its rated for high pressure.

"]it only sputters and skips on high idle would that still be fuel pump symtoms"

Mine did exactly that but it also did that with a clogged fuel filter a couple of years ago.

The computer is bolted on.Check to see if the computer is metal cased or plastic.If metal,Kohler has a grounding kit i believe.They started running a ground from the metal case to the battery ground on the frame because the computer was sending false signals to the O2 sensor.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

ZX12R thanks for all the info! I'll look into trying some of that tomorrow anyone else have anything else I could try?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sure,no problem,hope you get it fixed quickly.Too bad there are not any Kohler EFI techs on this forum to help out.

If you ever find that u have a bad 02 sensor,shoot me a pm and i will give u the automotive part number that i have been running for one third the price.

Let us know how u make out as it may help others.