Register free!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Seed germination from morning dew alone?

Just wondering if anybody has ever noticed seed germination strictly from morning dew? I aerated and seeded my own lawn about 10 days ago. We have had no rain at all. Last night I noticed some germination in some bare spots in my front yard. We tend to get very heavy dew here every morning. It is the only explanation I can come up with. What has been your experience?

My lawn is 2 acres and I am on a well so obviously irrigation is out of the question and we are in a drought now. I am praying we get some of that tropical storm early next week they are talking about. It is like the Sahara around here.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 10-04-2013, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Just wondering if anybody has ever noticed seed germination strictly from morning dew? I aerated and seeded my own lawn about 10 days ago. We have had no rain at all. Last night I noticed some germination in some bare spots in my front yard. We tend to get very heavy dew here every morning. It is the only explanation I can come up with. What has been your experience?

My lawn is 2 acres and I am on a well so obviously irrigation is out of the question and we are in a drought now. I am praying we get some of that tropical storm early next week they are talking about. It is like the Sahara around here.
You might get lucky, but seed needs constant moisture to germinate, when it dries after germination begins the seed starts to die
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post

You might get very liitle from the dew alone but if not watered or kept damp until its established like Pro Street Camero said, those nice new little seedlings will die out.

Yeah I'm hoping for that rain too. Supposed to come on Monday.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it were true that seed starts to die if it dries out,,, there would be no grasses germinating anywhere in the world outside the rain forests... last 2 years I got germination during the dry Oct. and I imagine the heavy dew had a lot to do with it...
Old 10-04-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...from-seed.html

Especially #4
Old 10-04-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Smallax you need to read the part under watering , the part that says the seed dies if it dries out. It's ok you can say it...I was right
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
If it were true that seed starts to die if it dries out,,, there would be no grasses germinating anywhere in the world outside the rain forests... last 2 years I got germination during the dry Oct. and I imagine the heavy dew had a lot to do with it...
I disagree, here's the proof. Seed goes into a hydro seeder germination begins. They spray the yard, with a mix of bluegrass and ryegrass, middle of summer and the customer fails to water. Using your logic they would have a lush lawn with 90percent germination. Using my logic nothing but weeds because the seed dies which is what happens.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting question. I can't say for sure but think I have seen this phenomenon on unwatered sections of golf courses and athletic fields (primarily practice fields). After aerating and overseeding lots of new growth without much rain. I have always believed grass grass grows aggressively when there is a big difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures and at those times in Fall with heavy persistent dew.

I agree with humble1 that after it germinates it is not going to make it without moisture.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

"... You may have to water several times in short intervals until the bed is thoroughly wet. After that, water often enough to keep the top inch or so of the seedbed moist until the seed germinates. Remember, seeds get only one shot at germination. Let them dry out, and they're dead. ..."

Here again there are city folk telling me what I've observed throughout my life is wrong becuz some other city slicker is writing his feelings down on an advertisement...
Check it out... If they dry excessively AFTER germination, THEN they die... pretty simple isn't it???

How many farmers irrigate their grass pastures every day after seeding becuz the seed will die if they don't... the answer is 0... When seed drops off the seedhead of any grass in the wild,,, will it only grow if it is irrigated for 10 days in a row???

I'm not trying to be unkind,,, but come on, think it through,,, just a little bit... those websites are for h.o.s that haven't a clue and here the supposed lcos are talking the same nonsense...
Old 10-04-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
"... You may have to water several times in short intervals until the bed is thoroughly wet. After that, water often enough to keep the top inch or so of the seedbed moist until the seed germinates. Remember, seeds get only one shot at germination. Let them dry out, and they're dead. ..."

Here again there are city folk telling me what I've observed throughout my life is wrong becuz some other city slicker is writing his feelings down on an advertisement...
Check it out... If they dry excessively AFTER germination, THEN they die... pretty simple isn't it???

How many farmers irrigate their grass pastures every day after seeding becuz the seed will die if they don't... the answer is 0... When seed drops off the seedhead of any grass in the wild,,, will it only grow if it is irrigated for 10 days in a row???

I'm not trying to be unkind,,, but come on, think it through,,, just a little bit... those websites are for h.o.s that haven't a clue and here the supposed lcos are talking the same nonsense...
We are talking about lawns, pasture mix is different. I can only speak with expertise on bluegrass, rye and fescues as that's what we use up here. Look again on my hydro seeding example when not watered. seed needs moisture, I'm not saying that you need to water every day but with the lack of moisture seed germination rates decline. We seed with viable seed meaning it has the potential to germinate at the percentages listed on the bag. Those rates drop drastically with lack of consistent moisture. I suppose that you will next day you can plant a tree not water it and it won't die using your lack of logic
Posted via Mobile Device