Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2013, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Village LIghting

Question for you all.

I recently purchased a company that features all VLC products. I have spoken with the Local Distributor - located NYC, he sent me his pricelist, I'm not all to impressed with numbers to say the least. There are some features with the products that I am a fan of, but again, the numbers make me cringe.

Any of you guys familiar with this product? I am trying to discover longevity, reliability etc, and obviously where we are on the calendar does not facilitate my normal route of plugging them in and letting the go for XYZ to see how they hold up.

With the purchase and the route I am taking to do some advertising, procuring actual warehouse space now, $$ has gotten a bit tight, so that's why I am concerned with the $$ of the product. When I decided to make this move, it is the number of clients that got my attention and the ability to recover my investment plus at minimum 25% this season.

If anyone is familiar please let me know your experience with the products either via general thread or PM.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 10-06-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Village lighting looks like a decent website and they have a couple innovations worth noting. the Garland and wreath hangers are an elegant solution to the problem of putting up garland around doors without fasteners at the top. but I am pretty sure you would still need to fasten them at the bottom, and of course, the added cost of the hangers and time to put the hanger up and store it etc.

While their garland does look nice, I have never been a fan of decorated garland simply because most either does not look good out of the box or it does not meet the style of the homeowner. The men that install lights for me just cannot arrange the ornaments and balls to suit most homeowners. you either have the knack or don't. but they all can fluff multi foliage garland and wreaths, and it looks good enough for 97% of the clients I have. the other 3% pay a decorator to decorate my garland.

The last thing that caught my eye was their LED c-9 product with the floating diodes. Theirs may work as advertised, but I have seen Action Lightings version of this in their "bitsy" light, and the problem with that is probably similar- LED's are directional by nature, and unless you have 7 or 10 in a cluster in the middle all facing out like a polytektrahedron, kind of like cree does with it's latest 40 and 60 watt equivalent bulb at home depot, you will not get equal brightness from the tip, the sides, etc. and nobody really does it because the expense would be ridiculous for a bulb, a C9 would need to cost in the 5-7 buck range to build it.

I kind of like the 2 and 3 way clips they have on their bulk cord. but I would have to use it to render an informed opinion. I am not sure it would speed up or allow us to do much more than we currently do with all in one clips.

given how you mentioned the cost of their items twice, I figure they are pricey too.

so, anyway, there's my 2 cents.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Sponsor

I remember getting some demo stuff from them years ago and wasn't impressed. But that was circa 2007, and a lot can change in 6 years.

With that said. You don't have to commit to using a single supplier. Some suppliers run out of things, so its good to have a back up. We have great strand pricing because that's our main focus, but we don't carry garland wreaths and a lot of the smalls needed. Some carry mostly garland and wreaths and have great pricing because of that....

You should have at least 3-4 suppliers ready to go that can support you.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I sampled their C9's, minis and foliage two years ago and actually used their minis. In my opinion their lighting and foliage is inferior to other suppliers. Their minis were not very bright and way too many had to be replaced the next season.

On the other hand, their Christmas storage products are pretty good, but, I think, more marketable in a retail store setting.

I have also sold their garland hangers as an add on for those who don't want to drill into the house. They work and look nice. They are bit of a pain to assemble initially, but after that, they go up and down quickly and make hanging garland around doorways very quick and simple. Some folks are willing to pay the extra to avoid drilling and may not buy garland otherwise. This is the only Village Lighting product I will continue to buy.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So far with what I have seen, I like the mini lights, both the LED and incandescent have a nice presentation not interested in replacement game each year, especially at the prices the local distributor wants; and I think the Black Forest Greenery is comparable if not exceeding the MN. As for the c-products, well my mother always said if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. I guess that sums it up LOL
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 10-18-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtolandscaping View Post
So far with what I have seen, I like the mini lights, both the LED and incandescent have a nice presentation not interested in replacement game each year, especially at the prices the local distributor wants; and I think the Black Forest Greenery is comparable if not exceeding the MN. As for the c-products, well my mother always said if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. I guess that sums it up LOL
This is what we use exclusively. It is a great product. The mini lights we have been using for 7 years and we are just starting to get failures. I love the greenery super full. The multi clip that comes with the c goods is useless in my opinion. But the new version they have on the c goods hooks into a shingle clips parfait clip and all in one clip. Nothing but happy with them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you about the greenery, especially the black forest line love it!!!! Unfortunately, there are several sets of LED that were purchased brand new last year and are all dead, appears to be the resistor. I emailed the distributor to see what they can do, this is going to really be a decision maker for me. I am personally not a fan of the c-7 though I feel a faceted lens would make all the presentation difference in the world, the stacked LED just turns me off. There are several sets of incandescent I went through, all are in good shape, some here and there out, but definitely bulbs issues, they appear to have quite a bit of age on them.

Dave that is where I am, I have HYD faceted minleons from last season samples, c-7 and it just blows the smooth finish away has to be 2-3 times brighter.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 11-02-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Put the first project up with this product today, end result - NOT A FAN!

The "trigger clips seem like a good idea, but personally not a fan of mounting anything to the flashing on a home, the clips stretch extremely easily and apparently also break off easily. Stacked LED's wicked green Hugh, the clips that do hold up or I should say function correctly slide along the flashing incredibly easy.

I ordered six cases of Black Forest garland incandescent - in the middle of October, opened one case up to install today, found them to be LED, explains the $266.61 per case. 4 Cases coming from Utah, I can just imagine what that cost is going to be. Sent an email to the distributor and VLC that if they are LED I do not want them. Waiting to see what happens. To bad really, that line of greenery is really beautiful, but the LED product doesn't impress me.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger