Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

What's Your Take the Sad State of Affairs in Washington?

This has nothing to do with agronomics, but it impacts us all and what we do. It's what's going on in Washington.

The partial shutdown of the federal government enters its seventh day today. The countdown to a government debt default is in 10 days.

According to CNN.com, a default is widely regarded as a much bigger economic disaster than the shutdown of nonessential services. President Barack Obama has demanded that Congress raise the debt ceiling, and avoid default, without conditions.

But House Speaker John Boehner said Sunday there will be no debt limit increase, and no end to the partial shutdown, unless President Barack Obama and Senate Democrats negotiate with House Republicans.

I classify myself as a moderate Republican, and I have to say I'm ashamed of the Republican party in Washington -- not to let off the Democrats so easily, though. They're all acting like children ó little children.

What do you think of the situation in Washington?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

John Boehner sure looks like a fool, at least according to this survey. Have to admit that Obama has a point when he says to hold a vote.
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ill/?hpt=hp_t1
Old 10-08-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel the only one who looks like a fool is obama.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Why?
I agree with you somewhat, but what is Boehner trying to prove?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty much a shoving match at this point, pretty soon the dems will start turning on each other, just like the people that vote for them.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm pretty sure Reid and boehner have already worked out some kind of agreement and are just playing this foolish game to protect their status within their party. Mean while (in my eyes) Obama looks bad and shows a complete lack of leadership. I may be a moderate republican but I have always tried to support/respect the office of the President but it is getting tougher to do so. Quite simply, I am tired of all of them.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Russell, I couldn't have said it any better. You are spot on.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I'm pretty sure Reid and boehner have already worked out some kind of agreement and are just playing this foolish game to protect their status within their party. Mean while (in my eyes) Obama looks bad and shows a complete lack of leadership. I may be a moderate republican but I have always tried to support/respect the office of the President but it is getting tougher to do so. Quite simply, I am tired of all of them.
Same here. And now that their costing me money its making me mad. I haven't had a job in almost 3 weeks now because all my customers are laid off. Thanks Obama I really appreciate it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think things are going real good in Washington, and Im hoping Oct 17 comes and goes without increasing how much further the government go in debt, they have stole more than enough our childrens money.

The government wont "default" on any debt, what your hearing is a bunch of obamas lies.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:44 AM

I don't think this shutdown is helping our businesses any. I think it shatters consumer confidence. I think it cost consumers a lot of money in the stock market. This should have been handled in the voting booth years ago OR you have to wait until the next election. I see the economy improving a lot around here. Industry and retail expansion happening everywhere. That is what we want to happen as business owners who depend on business and consumer spending. Budget battles are no good for us, in my opinion. After all is said and done, we will still be stuck with Obama care for at least a couple of years. We will need it because this threat of defaulting is going to give everyone a Stroke