Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-13-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Large Property Cleaning

Just awarded the contract too clean a property. The property was an old apartment complex that the buildings where demoed and removed and that was the last thing done too it about 7 years ago. All roads, beds etc still there. Have too return it back too a condition where it can be mowed by county. Lots of work for my mulcher and ordered mower for the skid for it as well. Bid on 3 other projects for the county as well saturday. Luckily I am probably the only person with a mulcher on a mini ex in the area. Other companies are bidding these jobs with manual labor.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

NICE! Having key attachments and thinking outside the norm is the key to getting work. Get all you can while your the only one with a mulcher on a mini, because once your competition realizes they cant compete, you wont be the only one. Such is the natural order of business, especially this business.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
NICE! Having key attachments and thinking outside the norm is the key to getting work. Get all you can while your the only one with a mulcher on a mini, because once your competition realizes they cant compete, you wont be the only one. Such is the natural order of business, especially this business.
I agree. I hope the TB260 will give me the extra flow I need too make the mulcher more efficient. It does not need much so I have high expectataions.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
I agree. I hope the TB260 will give me the extra flow I need too make the mulcher more efficient. It does not need much so I have high expectataions.
The specs on your machine are impressive. For such a small mower width-wise, I imagine the gpm will help it eat a lot of brush.
Sounds like a fun project and something I'd like to play with.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-03-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here are some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1075432...7637277678315/
Old 11-03-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, there are some nice walls and scenic views in that area. Not sure of the economics of the area, but it would make for a nice development.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

very cool. get some before, during and after pics! Down here, you would have a lot of competition from manual labor with machetes, axes, and pickup trucks. I'm sure having good equipment and insurance will set you apart from the fly by night's on govt. projects.
Good luck!

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-13-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
very cool. get some before, during and after pics! Down here, you would have a lot of competition from manual labor with machetes, axes, and pickup trucks. I'm sure having good equipment and insurance will set you apart from the fly by night's on govt. projects.
Good luck!
Thats my competition here as well. This is such a large property that the other guys bidding on it where at a loss on how too accomplish some of the things that needed to be done. There is several 1000 feet of silt fence needed to be removed and all the beds are grown up with 3 to 4 inch trees that are in between landscaping they want left. All the roads are overgrown with ivy and kudzu. Looks like a scene from Walking dead. I will get pics and post them.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Thats my competition here as well. This is such a large property that the other guys bidding on it where at a loss on how too accomplish some of the things that needed to be done. There is several 1000 feet of silt fence needed to be removed and all the beds are grown up with 3 to 4 inch trees that are in between landscaping they want left. All the roads are overgrown with ivy and kudzu. Looks like a scene from Walking dead. I will get pics and post them.
at least you will have the reach. While hand work can look good and be low impact, it will be a lot of man hours which, unless they are illegal, can get expensive. I rarely find hand clearing to be more economical than machine clearing all things being equal. Because of my proximity to the border, though, illegal, cheap labor is a real threat if the contractor isn't following legal requirements. I have another name for it but I don't want to be labeled a bigot (even though my family came by boat and some spoke Spanish before English!)
Still, you will be able to move fast. Are you going to spread mulch in the beds to make it look good and slow regrowth or is this a blow and go so they can get a handle on it?

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-03-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best(worst?) thing I ever found doing a cleanup job with the mower attachment on the front of my T300 was an exposed plastic gas line sticking out of the ground. I ran it over, heard the hiss sound and smelled gas. Got the H3LL out of there ASAP! Called the fire dept, and you would have thought I said we were under attack... around 7 trucks showed up. Craziest thing I have ever seen.