Register free!

Old 10-14-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

landscaper/mower weed referrals

I've been working with a couple of companies who do not do spray work. We have been billing the company who then marks it up and passes it on to the homeowner. I guess this is how they are doing it.

Because they are billing the homeowner it often takes some time to get paid and I have had 2 applications on the same invoice before. I don't mind billing the company but don't want to get screwed holding the bill!

I'm wondering how best to handle it. I would like to bill the homeowner directly and maybe pay the company a referral fee ... percentage of yearly gross or something?

What has worked for you guys? Im a mowing and app company and the are landscaping/hardscaping company. We both stick to what we know.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know in the past whenever we referred our clients, if they signed up for a yearly app, the company gave us a finders fee that was the equivalent of one app price.

For clients that they sent our way that became seasonal regular clients (weekly/bi-weekly) we always gave a finders fee for the cost of one mowing.

We've had a great relationship with this fert company for years and it's worked great for the both of us, even to the extent that the owner and his pushing was a big reason I've became certified.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I've been working with a couple of companies who do not do spray work. We have been billing the company who then marks it up and passes it on to the homeowner. I guess this is how they are doing it.

Because they are billing the homeowner it often takes some time to get paid and I have had 2 applications on the same invoice before. I don't mind billing the company but don't want to get screwed holding the bill!

I'm wondering how best to handle it. I would like to bill the homeowner directly and maybe pay the company a referral fee ... percentage of yearly gross or something?

What has worked for you guys? Im a mowing and app company and the are landscaping/hardscaping company. We both stick to what we know.
The companies you work for should have the operating capital.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaPineStraw View Post
The companies you work for should have the operating capital.
Posted via Mobile Device
My thoughts too so no reason I should have past due invoices for apps. They like to add the app onto an invoice. So I feel,like I'm waiting for their customer to pay them and then the landscaper pays me.

The regular customers he has me doing would be a big sell...maybe 6000 not including one time sprays. Pretty big for a company who bills out less then 75-100k of apps.

I would much rather they be my customer and bill them directly. Would be nice to set up a deal where I pay him a "finders or referral fee."
Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My standard weed/Fert program is 6 steps. I'm thinking the referral fee of one apps price would work for anyone agreeing to a full program.