Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mid fall last round app

Plan on running my last round of fert by the end of Oct. My Reinders dealer does not have a good low% slow release N product like I want. Looking for a product that will fit the bill - faster release to be utilized by freeze up.

What do y'all use? Anyone throw straight urea, granular....assuming soil moisture is adequate and temps are cool like they are here now? How fast does urea volatize if it does not get rained in right away?

Thx
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-16-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You should be fine with urea in this weather... When I ordered urea for the hayfields in early Sept., it was still hot so they said I should wait for the real cool down and hopefully apply before rain... that was from agriculture, not Scotts...
Old 10-16-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would apply ammonium sulfate at no more than a 1/2 N, probably less.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The Volitize factor...? Can anyone expand on this...? What forms of fertilizer are more subject to this loss than others?

No rain in the forecast here and many systems are already blown out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
The Volitize factor...? Can anyone expand on this...? What forms of fertilizer are more subject to this loss than others?

Posted via Mobile Device
I had an article in the past that claimed as much as 25% of early Spring N is volatized because the cool weather wasn't allowing plants to pick up all that was put down... Whether there is a definitive article that answers that question in detail,,, IDK...

I go along with FDLawnMan at this point in that .5# of N/k is probably plenty... Who knows if even that is going to be used or wasted this late in the Midwestern Autumn..
Old 10-17-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
This is a good quick reference I keep on my computer and iPad and read a couple times a year.

http://mining.state.co.us/SiteCollec...ertilizers.pdf
Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Interesting. On the accounts I'm in full control of on mowing heights. 3.5"-4.5" [yes even this late in the season] the turf is able to hide and keep the product from further degradation...to some degree when compared to a tightly mowed lawn... if my logic trail is correct.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Great info thanks...

I'm still pondering putting down my HEAVY Fall fert now with zero rain in forecast with warmer temps vs waiting before natural rainfall and colder temps and faster release.

There was another thread where a professor of turf science was claiming fert does little good past mid October...?

I do plan on testing this on some lawns not readily visible to the public.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Great info thanks...

I'm still pondering putting down my HEAVY Fall fert now with zero rain in forecast with warmer temps vs waiting before natural rainfall and colder temps and faster release.

There was another thread where a professor of turf science was claiming fert does little good past mid October...? Posted via Mobile Device
You'll want to also keep in mind that it takes time for your application to start moving into the soil EVEN if you do get rain... I generally notice 2 or 3 weeks for color to change during a normal stretch of cool moist weather...

Actually, finding another turf professor that says,,, "... fert does little good past mid-Oct",,, is not something new, but is the general consensus for the Midwest... several articles have been posted for cool-season grasses explaining the "research" from Universities as to why this is true...

You'll want to have the nutrients being USED during the rapid Fall growth, rather than APPLIED near the end of the rapid Fall growth...
Old 10-18-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I say go for it Exact. Odds and long term weather patterns are on your side. Easy for me to say huh?

Regarding fertilizer after mid-October, it's important on this board with people from all over that we don't accept blanket statements. There is a lot of different weather in a lot of different cities. Could be Escanaba's mid-October is my Thanksgiving, or my Halloween is Cincinati's Columbus Day. Then factor in all the different types of fertilizer available.

I think just about all of us who post here are, moreso than the national companies, able to adjust and customize what we provide to match current local conditions.

Let us know what your tests show please.